Close call!

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Just thought I'd share my little story of near-catastrophe....

The other evening I was pulling my Nexus out of my pocket to check it and such...when, for the first time ever in the 4 years I've owned touchscreen phones, I fumbled it and it fell to the street. Face down and all. I couldn't believe it. As hard as it seemed to hit I figured it was done...at a minimum the screen would be all scratched or worse, cracked.

I attempted to pick it up...fumbled it AGAIN ( I must've had serious butterfingers that night) and it was face down on the street again. I really thought that would do it in.

So I actually got a normal grasp on it and wouldn't you know...not a scratch on the glass!!! No cracks...nothing. There's a small tiny scuff on the corner of the case but the screen is fine...no marks, still responsive to touch, and so on. I thought the notification light may have busted as it wasn't working for a bit after the drop but it started working again a bit later.

Dodged a bit of a bullet there.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yes the phone is quite durable, luckily you missed the right spot, TWICE. You lucky dog.

I've dropped mine once from about 8in off the ground and I got scuffs on the bottom

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I've actually dropped mine dozens of times, a few times on purpose... but that's because I have that otterbox case on mine which pretty much prevents any damage, so it makes me more careless when handling the phone.

Though the only reason I got the case was because I dropped it on the cement without a case, and while there wasn't any damage (atleast nothing worth mentioning) I wasn't gonna try my luck again, especially since my last phone got a crack from a drop.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Yeah dropping any device is way too nerve racking for me, this is why I ALWAYS have a case on anything I buy.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I dropped mine on the garage floor without a case and watched it slide only a few days after getting it back in December. It definitely very upsetting... :) I also hate those times when you start to fumble it and then you look like an idiot while you try to catch it. Most of the time you do, but sometimes you send it launching through the air... lol

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Knock on wood I have only dropped my phone once (alcohol related :p). It was my OG Droid and it smacked hard on a cement garage floor and blew apart. Not a single scratch anywhere!

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Knock on wood I have only dropped my phone once (alcohol related :p). It was my OG Droid and it smacked hard on a cement garage floor and blew apart. Not a single scratch anywhere!
:D out loud!!!,on the(alcohol related).You know that Gin make you sin.:p

OP
IIGood

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
MrKleen said:
I dropped mine on the garage floor without a case and watched it slide only a few days after getting it back in December. It definitely very upsetting... :) I also hate those times when you start to fumble it and then you look like an idiot while you try to catch it. Most of the time you do, but sometimes you send it launching through the air... lol

Yup...and that was pretty much how I did. Not just once...but twice. Epic fail...lol.

wseyller

Reaction score
I accidentally dropped a Motorola Droid into a long island iced tea while at a bar. The screen was on while fully submerged. I quickly got it out and took the battery out and let it sit for a full day. It was acting funny then I dried it further and it worked ever since for me.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

It's the alcohol that made the phone slippery...alcohol does that, you know!! :p

I accidentally dropped a Motorola Droid into a long island iced tea while at a bar. The screen was on while fully submerged. I quickly got it out and took the battery out and let it sit for a full day. It was acting funny then I dried it further and it worked ever since for me.

You are VERY fortunate that it was a Long Island Iced Tea. The high alcohol content may have actually helped you since alcohol mixes with water in an aqueous solution which reduces the "wetting" effect of water and increases its evaporation.

wseyller

Reaction score
It's the alcohol that made the phone slippery...alcohol does that, you know!! :p

You are VERY fortunate that it was a Long Island Iced Tea. The high alcohol content may have actually helped you since alcohol mixes with water in an aqueous solution which reduces the "wetting" effect of water and increases its evaporation.

My bartender did make them deadly strong.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Alcohol... its done a lot of bad things...:icon_censored: