Close call at the verizon store

calipup

Reaction score
So i went to take my wifes phone in for a focus issue. The camera wouldnt auto focus. I was going to root her phone but never got around to it. Left the z4root apk under a roms sub directory and downloaded and installed both droid x bootstrapper and droid 2 bootstrapper but never used them. I sbf'ed the phone back to 2.3.340 just to see if that fixed the auto focus issue and when it didnt i took it in to Verizon. After a little bit one of the supervisors at the store came back and said has this phone been rooted. I said no. i did download some apps but never rooted it. See they dont work. i feared loosing my warranty"
he said "i see all the apps are here for rooting though on the sd card. But since it isnt rooted we will go ahead and proceed with the warranty."

Geez i almost peed my pants. I'd take the wrath of verizon anyday over the wrath of my wife not having a working phone.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Verizon reps can be extremely ignorant on issues such as this. I don't think it states anywhere in the terms of service that you can't have a certain file on your SD card.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
So i went to take my wifes phone in for a focus issue. The camera wouldnt auto focus. I was going to root her phone but never got around to it. Left the z4root apk under a roms sub directory and downloaded and installed both droid x bootstrapper and droid 2 bootstrapper but never used them. I sbf'ed the phone back to 2.3.340 just to see if that fixed the auto focus issue and when it didnt i took it in to Verizon. After a little bit one of the supervisors at the store came back and said has this phone been rooted. I said no. i did download some apps but never rooted it. See they dont work. i feared loosing my warranty"
he said "i see all the apps are here for rooting though on the sd card. But since it isnt rooted we will go ahead and proceed with the warranty."

Geez i almost peed my pants. I'd take the wrath of verizon anyday over the wrath of my wife not having a working phone.

haha. Sounds scary. When I brought my rooted X in, they didn't even notice. :)

But I don't see what wrong with rooting.
In a perfect world, making your phone work like it should in the first place wouldn't void your warranty.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I would have asked him why he was looking through MY personal data on MY sd card, without MY permission.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would have asked him why he was looking through MY personal data on MY sd card, without MY permission.
You are exactly right. I was thinking the same thing. They found circumstantial evidence only. I'd have asked them if they also looked at my pictures folder while they were nosing around too.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
You are exactly right. I was thinking the same thing. They found circumstantial evidence only. I'd have asked them if they also looked at my pictures folder while they were nosing around too.

That's exactly what was going through my head when I read this.

9wire

Reaction score
Friend works for VZW, he rooted every one of his coworkers phones, then when the iPhones casket out, he did the jailbreaking. ;)
EDIT: I would have raised hell at that store had it been me.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Byakushiki

Reaction score
:laugh: I would've just said "A friend downloaded them but had to go before he told me what to do with them...So I just left them there"
I think that would work

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:laugh: I would've just said "A friend downloaded them but had to go before he told me what to do with them...So I just left them there"
I think that would work
The thing is he didn't have to say squat other than ask why he was looking at the SD card without permission.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I think that would work
The thing is he didn't have to say squat other than ask why he was looking at the SD card without permission.

Well, he could have just been looking at the app drawer...
Even then he probably shouldn't have, but its not that big of a deal if you ask me.

OP
C

calipup

Reaction score
The only thing in the app drawer was the droid x and droid 2 bootstrapper. No superuser apps whatsoever. The only other folder was my /sdcard/roms folder with the .596 zip and the z4.apk. I didnt even think to ask why the hell was he looking in my sdcard. That probably would've gotten me a new phone and case hehe. I just though this would bring up a good point. At what point can verizon deny your warranty. If you had every tool in the world to root your phone but it wasnt rooted. could they still deny you? I fear i am now flagged as a root user even though my wifes phone was never rooted. Now mine on the other hand.......... (btw love liberty v.9)

barski

Reaction score

That would've been my exact words.

I've walked in to verizon wireless stores with my Droid X running liberty, and all my apps that require root on one page. Heck i had android overclock widget on the homepage...:D

wseyller

Reaction score
I remember when I bought my droid I took it to verizon to get a screen protector. The rep that sold them to me recommended that I root the phone and flash a custom rom. He pulled his overclocked droid out to show me his custom rom.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk