ClocWorkMod Recovery Screen Not Working

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by HuckleSmothered, Apr 29, 2012.

1. HuckleSmothered

HuckleSmothered New Member

PROBLEM
    When I go into my recovery mode, it brings up CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.5. The text is all orange (I'm used to green on my past Droids, so not sure if this is a problem or not). I can move up and down with the volume buttons within the menu. However, I cannot actually do anything. When I try to select /anything/, no matter which button I've tried using to select, or any option whatsoever in the menu, it gives me the ClockWorkMod hat icon with the orange arrow. Nothing else. It'll sit there forever.

WORKAROUND
    I have to pull the battery to get it to boot. The phone works fine. All functions seem functional. I also have functioning root/superuser.

BACKGROUND
    Phone: LG Optimus V through Virgin Mobile.

I am trying to flash it to CyanogenMod. I used the SuperOneClick method. Did the manual root option and it told did all the work for me except for hitting a key in the DOS screen every once in a while. On the second reboot, it stated it would boot into recovery and then I should choose a specific zip to run. This is where the problem became apparent. Since I can no longer choose any of the options, I went a different method.

I used the Gingrerbreak.apk method. This worked. After this, I had root. (I did not have root after the SuperOneClick.)

SOLUTION
    Can anyone help? This is where I'm at right now. Can't flash without a working recovery menu. Not sure how to re-install a recovery menu though.
  2. Droid Firefighter

Droid Firefighter Active Member

Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
    Try a different recovery. I am currently using EXT4 Touch Recovery which is available in the market (free and paid version). I have also used Raid Zero Recovery (RZR, RZRECOVERY). Both of these are easy to use. Download to the root of your SD card, and install from there. If you have the ability to access your phones bootloader you might be able to "install update from SD card" from that menu. Once the install is complete, reboot then access your recovery via your normal procedure. It is worthy to note the EXT4 Recovery is accessed just like a normal app. You can send the phone into recovery without having to manually power off. Good luck!

This post is Incredible 2!
  3. HuckleSmothered

Doesn't look like an alternate recovery is available in the Market for me. I've been searching but haven't found anything. They seem specific to other hardware types, unfortunately.

I've since installed ROM Manager and tried installing the Recovery from there. Now, I can't get into the Recovery mode at all. Just a black screen.

Any other suggestions?
  4. Droid Firefighter

Droid Firefighter Active Member

Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
    I screwed up the name. It's 4ext recovery. Google "app center". Its another app store. They have the free version of 4ext recovery. Try that.

This post is Incredible 2!
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  5. HuckleSmothered

What a pain this phone is. Not an easy one to root and flash at all. Third Droid and, by far, the worst to root.

But it's rooted now. I wish I could give the next guy a good set of instructions, but I can't. I'll try to give a decent overview though.

RECOVERY IMAGE
    At first I broke it with the method described above. I could not, for the life of me, find the referenced alternative flash image in the Market/Play Store. So I went a searching some more.
    Eventually I found the xionia recovery image and instructions. Possibly, it was from this link:
    [Custom Recovery] Xionia Clockwork (CWMA v1.2518.6) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.comThis worked after I used ADB to shell in, flash the recovery image and reboot.

OS IMAGE
    At this point I was able to flash the BackSide IHO image. This went over without a single hitch. Copied it over to my SDCARD and chose it from the now-working recovery screen. Installed quickly and took a little while to boot. But now it's perfect.

It's wonderful to have CyanogenMod back on my phone. 100 times better than the stock. LOVE IT!!
Search tags for this page
android stuck cwm recovery mode hat arrow
cant get clockwork recvory optmus v
clockworkmod backup hangs orange arrow and top hat
cwm based recovery v4.0.1.5 download
cwm recovery is not working i cannot select anything in reco
download clockworkmod recovery v4.0.1.5
how to flash xionia recovery
how to load xionia recovery from sdcard

lg optimus v black screen recovery

lg optimus v option button broke

lg optimus v screen not working