Clockworkmod Recovery bootlooping

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by x25064, Jan 11, 2011.

1. x25064

x25064 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I can't access my recovery menu when I flash clockworkmod recovery. I don't understand why this is happening.

I was having issues with clockwork recovery rebooting after being open for 15 or so seconds, so anything I wanted to do within the menus had to be done fast or my phone would reboot itself while in recovery. I never had this issue with sprecovery before.

I went into rom manager and reflashed clockwork recovery to hopefully correct the rebooting issue and instead I am now plagued with my phone not booting into recovery at all, it gets stuck at the white M logo and simply reboots normally.

I tried flashing sprecovery again through rom manager, which booted fine, then tried flashing clockwork recovery again, and the same problem exists.

D1
    CM 6.1.2
    stock kernel

2. x25064

x25064 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Update**

Fixing permissions worked for being able to get back into recovery but now once in the recovery menu the phone will reboot itself within 10 seconds. Quite annoying.

3. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    Clockwork Notes:

The first thing about Clockwork is trying to get Rom Manager to flash a good copy onto your phone. Here is a fool proof method to determine whether you have a good copy before trying to reboot into it. Begin by scrolling down and flashing the alternative recovery – SpRecovery. After it successfully loads, scroll up and flash Clockwork. If it takes longer than 3-5 seconds to get the popup telling you the install was successful, reflash it over and over until you do get that popup in 3-5 seconds. Once that happens, you have a good install.

Once you have rebooted into Clockwork and are navigating through its menu, if at any time it hesitates that means it is about to reboot automatically. When Clockwork does reboot and the screen goes dark, immediately press and hold the X key until the phone reboots back into Clockwork. Clockwork will now be totally stable until you finish.

If the first thing you do with Clockwork, during any particular session, is to try and make a Nandroid backup and you get an error message (without regard to what it says), you should just wait a few seconds and not do anything. That is because Clockwork is about to reboot the phone. As stated above, as soon as the screen goes dark, press and hold the X key until the phone reboots back into Clockwork. Then start over and Clockwork will work as it was intended for the rest of the session.

4. x25064

x25064 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh hey thanks man! Thats great info, I suspected the delay when flashing meant that it wasn't a successful flash. When I fixed the permissions it took no time at all to flash and then started working.

I will try the rebooting issue fix next time I need to go into the manager. Thanks again for the great post!

5. kingsway8605

kingsway8605 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    In rom manager, flash sprecovery (last option) then reflash clockwork to correct clockwork errors (from the clockwork faqs)

6. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Nice, but already covered twice in this thread. Most extensively two posts above yours.

7. fourthe

fourthe New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I followed the steps/tips above. I was flashed CW then SP then back to CW (only took like 3sec). In Rom manager I selected rebooted in recovery and gained access to clockwork. I did a nandroid backup and then rebooted the phone so I could access Rom manager again.

I attempted to download and install cyanogen however when it rebooted I was given the screen with the triangle and !.

Anything im missing?

8. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +274
    How did you root?

Sounds like the recovery isn't sticking because you are still on stock rom. You will have to reflash CWMR again before you install CM.

The stock rom will detect if you have non stock recovery and reflash the stock recovery on reboot.

if you rooted with link one in my signature, this wouldn't happen.

Good Luck.

9. fourthe

fourthe New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I used superoneclick. I assumed it worked since it loaded the superuser app? I can't see your signature on the app, ill have to wait till I'm back on a pc.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

10. guidot

Ratings:
    +274
    No. The rooting worked.

Just when you try to flash a non stock recovery, on a reboot it will always flash stock recovery on.

So, afaik, until you flash a non stock rom, you will have to manually flash cwmr everytime you want to get into recovery.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

11. el_ote

el_ote Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hey hope you all can help. I installed a ROM which had previously worked on my phone, but this time i got stuck on the boot animation. when i tried to enter recovery mode by doing a battery pull (worked before), the menu did not show up. is there a button(s) to press to load into clockworks recovery?!?!?

12. guidot

Ratings:
    +274
    With the phone off, slide keyboard open. Hold "x" and then press and hold the power button. Release power button and continue holding x until you get to recovery.

Sent from my GimpDroid.

13. el_ote

el_ote Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot!!! what i was told was:
    After a battery pull, power on the phone and hold the home button until
    the android with the triangle appears. Then press the search button to get
    into the stock recovery. From there you need to do a factory reset/wipe data.
    and it worked!
    Thanks for your help tho...much appreciated!!!

14. guidot

Ratings:
    +274
    I take it you are using a droidx then.

Sent from my GimpDroid.

15. el_ote

el_ote Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My fault, didnt notice this wasnt an X forum, i just searched for clockwork recovery and this looked promising

THANKS FOR THE HELP THO!! i love how most here will help if possible

Search tags for this page

load clockwork nod to schi515