clockwork/ROM manager wont work please help

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bmb0205, Dec 27, 2010.

1. bmb0205

bmb0205 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For some reason I've had this problem for a while with two different Droid 1's.

I am trying to flash a new kernel so I try to install ROM from SD card and pick the kernel, then it reboots to go to clockwork but instead it just cycles through the M screen several times until I have to battery pull.

I had this problem before and fixed it by using an older version of clockwork but after trying it this time it doesn't work. Even with the most recent version it won't work. Any ideas why?

2. adsfa34

adsfa34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First a question: is the bootloop occurring after a successful flash of the kernel (zip)? If so, try these steps:

1) Boot directly into clockwork by powering off your phone and pressing the power button + X until the "M" appears. This is the most stable way to boot into recovery.

2) Check the kernels you're trying to apply, and make sure that they are consistent with the Android version of your ROM. If you're trying to use a 2.1 kernel for a froyo (2.2) phone, you will definitely get a bootloop. Some kernels are incompatible with certain ROMs altogether, check with the developer for supported kernels (search their section, it's probably on the ROM release thread). To check your android version, go to Menu>Settings>About Phone and scroll look for "Android version" (most 2.2 kernels work on 2.2.1 ROMS jsyk).

3) Start with a slower/higher-voltage kernel and work your way up/down. Overclocked kernels and low-voltage kernels are known to cause issues for some users. Every Droid is different -- some can handle high OC speeds, while some will bootloop at 800MHz. Some phones can also handle lower voltage than others, so you just need to find a kernel that works reliably for you. Make a nandroid of your last stable state, and start with a SV (standard/stock voltage) 800 MHz and then try differing voltages and speeds and find one that runs smoothly.

FYI: I'm using the latest clockwork with absolutely no issues.

3. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Current Phone Model:
    Motorola XT1103 (Nexus 6)
    Wow, vaurnet, very nicely explained answer, nice work, however it _might_ be that the OP's recovery got a tiny bit borked.

To the OP, try flashing "Alternate Recovery" (SPRecovery) down towards the bottom of the rom manager, then flash back to CMRecovery. And everything that vaurnet said does apply.

good luck

4. adsfa34

adsfa34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So simple it just might work.... yeah that and to flash an alternate recovery completely slipped my mind! ;-)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

5. bmb0205

bmb0205 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the post vuarnet! I ended up uninstalling ROM manager and reinstalling it and it cleared everything up

thanks again for the help

6. bmb0205

bmb0205 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    also thanks to teddyearp

appreciate it guys

7. shmoo

shmoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    just my .02 I always have problems with cwm and rom manager so I just stick with good ol spr. Its rock solid and I never have a problem

8. adsfa34

adsfa34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah but you have to rename to update.zip so you can't keep like 100 roms on your sdcard and flash flash flash flash flash...(wait for it...) flash! like I do with cw lol

9. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35
    CW is ok but ROM Mangler isn't IMHO. I also use SPRecovery myself (6 months - 0 issues)! You can rename the zips after install. I'll take an extra step or two for reliability any day! :dancedroid:

DroidForums junkie!!

10. adsfa34

adsfa34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Psh yeah rom mgr sucks. I was just referring to cw. I've had no problems since I've started using it...I dunno how many months but a lot. Probably more than 6... lol jk

11. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I'll go along with that! :)

12. shmoo

shmoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I just copy the rom I want from my rom folder on my sd to the root of the card. Rename it and poof done. If I'm near a computer I can mount in recovery and do all of my kernel and theme stuff too. Easy as pie!

13. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Current Phone Model:
    Motorola XT1103 (Nexus 6)
    Me, I'm on the real dark side. I've been using rom mgr/cw since . . . . how long has it been out? with no real issues. Rom mgr/cw IMHO is for those who won't panic and start really messing their phone up at the first sign of a slight problem.