1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Clockwork Recovery vs SPRecovery

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by shpen, Jun 17, 2010.

1. shpen

shpen New Member

Ever since the Droid has been rooted, I have been using SPRecovery. Recently though, I have seen that many people are now using Clockwork Recovery and it is the only recovery option supported by Koush's Rom Manager. I was wondering if anyone would be able to explain the difference between the two and if it is worth switching to Clockwork Recovery.

Thanks!
  2. bwhite757

bwhite757 New Member

Personally I'm not a big fan of the Clockwork recovery. It takes entirely too long to do a backup/restore IMO. However if you want to use ROM manager then it's a requirement. I haven't really seen any advantages from one to the other, and have kept SPRecovery on my phone because of this.
  3. justin82

justin82 Super Moderator Premium Member

agree with above post it does take to long to do backups.. but it is very handy to download roms..i use it..most of the time unless i am near a computer then i will use sp recovery and do updatezip method
  4. jstafford1

jstafford1 Super Moderator

Basically Sprecovery is a simple quick recovery. Clockwork has alot of options and is a little slower. CW can be a little more convenient, but also due to it's more complexity can have issues.
  5. bomber889

bomber889 New Member

It's not that much slower now
  6. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

I'm using clockworkmod recovery due to the fact that I flash ROM's over a lot. It's really handy just to go to my ROM directory on the SD Card, install a rom, install a kernel, install whatever and reboot.

Clockwork rools SPR drools :) jk, their both good recoveries, I just prefer clockwork
  7. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

sp is sooo much better i think. the backups/restores are much cleaner and end up working much better. its a lot faster too. clockwork has more problems and the restores give me more trouble after.
  8. bomber889

bomber889 New Member

I have had zero problems with clockwork.
  9. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

On three separate occasions Clockwork has left me with updates that would not work. On each of those occasions I had to reflash sprecovery and go from there. I use Sprecovery exclusively now. It is safer if there are problems. The nandroid backups it makes always work and the backups that Clockwork makes do not always work. Rom Manager and clockwork are easier to use and are certainly more elegant programs, but Sprecovery works everytime.
  10. chrstdvd

chrstdvd New Member

I have been confused about CW and SP and Droid 2 bootstrapper. Now I get it. If you flash roms you have to us CW. Is that right?
  11. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

SPR will flash roms too. You just have to rename the file to update.zip first. With CW you do not have to rename the rom file.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  12. teddyearp

teddyearp New Member

Actually the only custom recovery that can be used on the Droid 2 is CMRecovery via koush's bootstrap. SPRecovery only works on the Droid 1.
Search tags for this page

sprecovery apk download