Clockwork Recovery and D2 - Steps to launch from boot-up?

OP
R

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since CWR doesn't replace the stock recovery you can't boot directly into it using the Power Button/X Key process that worked on the D1.

I have read that there is a battery pull step on the D2 that gets you into CWR, and I did it once by accident, but haven't gotten back into it.

Does anyone know the correct sequence to boot to CWR on the D2 when coming from power off state?

Thanks.

if u use koush's bootstrapper to flash recovery it automatically puts a update.zip on the sd card.... flash that and ull be all set with recoveryy

Thanks, but not the question I was asking... :)

I posted my own answer to my question here in the first page of this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...overy-d2-steps-launch-boot-up.html#post822984

prtsmgr

Reaction score
This is how I boot into ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.8

Open Droid 2 Bootstrapper
Press Bootstrap Recovery
Press OK
Press Reboot Recovery (phone will restart and load up ClockworkMod Recovery)

I've done it that way everytime without pulling the battery

Djdarke

Reaction score
I found a new, somewhat easier way.
-Boot into stock recovery by holding x and power
-Select "allow update.zip"
-It will abort (assuming you don't have an update.zip on the root of your sd card)
-Select "reboot system"
It will now boot into Clockwork recovery.

Works for me, hope it helps someone else.

Djdarke

Reaction score
Sorry, I was wrong. It still requires a battery pull. Instead of choosing "reboot system", pull the battery after it aborts the update.zip. Then power up normally and it takes you to Clockwork. Still might be usefull if you are stuck on the "M" screen and can't make it to the boot up animation to pull the battery.

OP
R

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is how I boot into ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.8

Open Droid 2 Bootstrapper
Press Bootstrap Recovery
Press OK
Press Reboot Recovery (phone will restart and load up ClockworkMod Recovery)

I've done it that way everytime without pulling the battery

Yes - that way works fine and (along from launching recovery from ROM Manager) is how you do it when your phone is working normally.

The point of the alternate method we are discussing is having a way to get into recovery when you can't boot your phone normally, get into a boot loop, or you can boot it up to the OS but it's so foobar'd up you can't run any apps.

Very important to be able to do that when one is messing around w/ROMs, hacks, and other customizations. :)

OP
R

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I was wrong. It still requires a battery pull. Instead of choosing "reboot system", pull the battery after it aborts the update.zip. Then power up normally and it takes you to Clockwork. Still might be usefull if you are stuck on the "M" screen and can't make it to the boot up animation to pull the battery.

Thanks...that would mean your revised steps are (added the step to open the stock recovery menu as well):

1. Boot into stock recovery by holding x and power
2. Open recovery menu by pressing Search button on keyboard
3. Select "allow update.zip"
4. It will abort (assuming you don't have an update.zip on the root of your sd card)
5. Pull the battery

The nice thing about this method is that it doesn't even require that your phone can get to the boot animation...if someone has really messed up their phone and are stuck on the M logo (ah, that would be something I've done before!) then this method can get you into Recovery when you're in that state.

Thanks - now I feel totally safe (from myself). ;)

Djdarke

Reaction score

Thanks...that would mean your revised steps are (added the step to open the stock recovery menu as well):

1. Boot into stock recovery by holding x and power
2. Open recovery menu by pressing Search button on keyboard
3. Select "allow update.zip"
4. It will abort (assuming you don't have an update.zip on the root of your sd card)
5. Pull the battery

The nice thing about this method is that it doesn't even require that your phone can get to the boot animation...if someone has really messed up their phone and are stuck on the M logo (ah, that would be something I've done before!) then this method can get you into Recovery when you're in that state.

Thanks - now I feel totally safe (from myself). ;)

For some reason the first way will work sometimes and the second way will work other time. We will just have to play with it but at least we know it can be done if stuck before boot up.

AngDroid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get ADB shell working with clockwork when you have system mounted?

Djdarke

Reaction score
I finally have a way that works every time.
-Boot into stock recovery by holding X while powering up
-Hit the magnifying glass on the keyboard to open recovery menu
-Highlight reboot and hit "ok" on the keyboard
-When you get the "M" screen pull the battery
-Power back up and it will go to Clockwork recovery

It has worked everytime I try it, can someone else confirm also please?

prtsmgr

Reaction score
Yes - that way works fine and (along from launching recovery from ROM Manager) is how you do it when your phone is working normally.

The point of the alternate method we are discussing is having a way to get into recovery when you can't boot your phone normally, get into a boot loop, or you can boot it up to the OS but it's so foobar'd up you can't run any apps.

Very important to be able to do that when one is messing around w/ROMs, hacks, and other customizations. :)

Thanks Redflea for your expanation, I missed the part about not being able to boot normally.

OP
R

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Got into a boot loop this AM that went as far as the boot animation...kind of nice that all you have to do is pull the battery and reboot and you go straight into Recovery. Very convenient. :)

patchm00

Reaction score
So do I understand correctly the only way to boot to recovery is if you have your power charger with you at the time? Seems so since you are talking about pulling the battery and rebooting :) There has to be a way if you don't have your charger!

Nevermind, i see it boots to it after battery pull AND replace :)

Last edited:
OP
R

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
I finally have a way that works every time.
-Boot into stock recovery by holding X while powering up
-Hit the magnifying glass on the keyboard to open recovery menu
-Highlight reboot and hit "ok" on the keyboard
-When you get the "M" screen pull the battery
-Power back up and it will go to Clockwork recovery

It has worked everytime I try it, can someone else confirm also please?

I finally managed to get my D2 stuck at the M logo today and this method does not work to boot CW recovery, unfortunately.

Not sure why it's not working for me but worked for you...I'm following the steps above, but do end up back to the M logo over and over, rather than getting into clockwork recovery.

Going to try a couple more times and then it looks like it's SBF for me. :)

shawn13165

Reaction score
I've been able to get into clockworkmod couple different ways.

One i had an infinite bootloop, plugged in charge cable and pulled battery. Powered on and it went into recovery automatically.

Other was powered on holding power and home key at same time.