Clockwork mod issues/unable to install gapps

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by torpethin, Apr 5, 2011.

1. torpethin

torpethin New Member

Hello!

Originally this started as an issue installing gapps then it became an issue with ROM manager and clockwork mod recovery.

It started when I flashed CM 6.1.2. Tried installing gapps to no avail, seems to be a problem with clockwork mod recovery. Here's a link to an earlier discussion Unable to install gapps

Now, in ROM manager when I "flash clockwork mod recovery" I get this "error while downloading from server. make sure have internet and free space on SD card". Well I do, so I don't understand what's going on there.

When I reboot into recovery from clockwork mod when I select something it just reboots the phone. This happens consistently, though on occasion I've been able to wipe data/cache and try to install a zip, but then it decides to reboot.

Point is, I super frustrated, and I need something to blame. Seems like I'm having an issue with clockwork mod/ROM manager, can anyone verify this?

What I need is some help either fixing this issue, or flashing a new ROM outside of clockwork mod recovery and ROM manager.
    I don't have gapps or the market installed.

I would flash an earlier recovery from before I ran CM and started having these problems, but I did it in Titanium backup and I can't figure out how to get to that recovery image.

Thank you for helping this lost, confused little boy.

If anything is unclear, I'm happy to clarify. Really hope I can get some help with this!
  2. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Have you tried booting into recovery with power +x? Rom Manager has issues. Also, try downloading the gapps to your PC then transfer it to your SD and flash it trough recovery. Don't use rom mangler.

Swyped from a Droid
  3. torpethin

torpethin New Member

thanks for the quick response.

i have tried the power + x recovery. that boots into clockwork mod, and it still get all the same issues.

i downloaded gapps and transfered to the droid via usb as you described. no difference.

its when i try to flash anything in recovery that i have all these issues.

Is there any alternative method for recovery?
  4. sbenson

sbenson New Member

I would try RZrecovery. You can read up on it here. Here's the direct link for the file.

RZ is similar to clockwork but offers added functionality. Easier to wipe when installing new stuff, plus you can overclock it (makes it much faster to install things) and you can charge your droid while flashing (which you can't do with clockwork).

One drawback is that RZ does not work with Rom Manager, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. :)

Download the file and transfer it to your sd card. Boot into clockwork recovery and go to install just like you would a rom. After it finishes, go to your advanced menu and click reboot recovery. This will reboot back into recovery, but this time into RZrecovery.

Hopefully clockwork lets you do this, otherwise I don't know what your options are....
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  5. fused2explode

fused2explode New Member

In Rom Manager go all the way to the bottom, hit flash alternate recovery, once done go back to the top and reflash CWM. Koush mentions this issue on the rom managers market page...

F2E

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. torpethin

torpethin New Member

thanks everyone for your input.

Fused2explode- unfortunately ROM manager does not recognize that i'm connected to the internet. If I try to flash clockwork mod, i get an error message. I do not have the option to flash alternate recovery it says "no alternate recovery available". If I hit "all clockwork mod recoveries", again, I an error message saying I'm not connected to the internet.

Weird.

I'm going to try sbenson's suggestion with RZ recovery. I really hope clockwork will let me install it via the instructions you posted.

More soon!
  7. sbenson

sbenson New Member

This stuff sucks sometimes but once you get it working, it feels great. Good luck and keep us posted!
  8. torpethin

torpethin New Member

No kidding. I've been at this for like a week now! ah!

this is a really dumb question, but perhaps i can get a quick answer.

If i'm usb connected can I just transfer all files from the droid's sd to the computer for backup?

In clockwork I'm now getting a message saying the SD card is not mounted, so i'm thinking i should just reformat the SD card, which would thus wipe it clean, correct?
  9. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Correct. Plug it in, you'll get a message on your droid about mounting - go ahead and mount it. Your computer will then detect your droid. Then you can go in and copy everything, then wipe.

Make sure you always unmount your droid from your computer before removing the usb connection as this has been contributed to sd card corruption.

Just click the usb icon in your system tray to remove your droid. Then on your droid click the unmount option. After this go into settings > storage > Erase SD card. You should be good to go after this.

I should remind you, this would be an ideal time to set up an sdext partition if you were ever planning to do so. You have to wipe to achieve this and then perform the action through clockwork. If you need info on this let me know. I just got Link2sd working and love it so far.
  10. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Go to: settings > storage

What does it say here? Third from the top should say "Unmount SD card." If not click mount and boot back into recovery.

Actually, I believe you can re-mount your sd card from within clockwork recovery but it's been so long I don't remember how. Maybe in the advanced menu? Poke around a bit and see if you find an option for this in any of cw's menus.
  11. torpethin

torpethin New Member

great info, thank you.

whats up with sdext partition? would this be a partition to store apps on the SD card?
  12. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Yeah, basically. Read this, you'll find some good info there. When you transfer apps to your sd card (as is), you have to wait for the sd card to be read (upon boot) before they will show up or can be used.

When you have an sd-ext partition and transfer your apps to it, it acts as an extension to your built in hard drive and gets read almost instantly, therefore your apps load right away, and you don't fill up your phone's internal storage.

Edit: An yes, this partition is just for apps as far as I know. When you connect to your computer via usb, you will not see this partition, you will only see the standard fat32 partition where the rest of your stuff was/is.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  13. torpethin

torpethin New Member

well, I tried sbenson's suggestion for installing RZ recovery... and clockwork still won't install anything.

I followed the instructions to install and then reboot into recovery, but i'm just getting the same thing in clockwork where it will run a process but not complete it.

now i'm lost again.

id be fine with the CM im using if only i could install gapps. but im stuck in a broken CM and I can't out!

still open to trying anything.
  14. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Can you verify that your sd card is mounted within cw?
  15. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Did you download the files on your computer, then transfer them over? I had an issue with this where my zip files where somehow being corrupted when I transferred them over.

I kept trying to install things in clockwork and rz and they kept failing. I then downloaded directly from the phone and it worked perfectly. Now I download everything directly from my phone to avoid this. You may want to try this option...
  16. torpethin

torpethin New Member

thats a good idea actually. i will try that next.

the card is mounted, yes.

thanks for your help and timely responses.
  17. torpethin

torpethin New Member

success! haha!

I downloaded gapps straight to the phone from CM wiki, and then installed it through clockwork mod recovery.

Gapps is now installed on my phone and all of my issues are resolved. ROM manager is now working properly too. What a relief.

Previously, I was downloading the zip files to my mac and loading it onto the phone. Must be some kind of file corruption happening through the mac?

Thank you sbenson for help. I will definitely partition my sd at your suggestion. You recommend RZ recovery over ROM manager/clockwork? What do you use to back up?
  18. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Haha, sweet! Congrats!

Clockwork isn't bad but yes, I prefer rz because of the speed via overclocking and the easier wiping options. I also don't trust rom manager so I download everything directly to my phone via either the forums here or the cyanogenmod site.

I use titanium backup to backup my apps and data but am very careful which apps I restore here since it can be buggy. No system data!!!

Also, I do all of my nandroid backups within rz.

If you're going to set up an sdext partition, do it via rom manager before you flash over to rz because you need clockwork installed for this. If you've already flashed rz, just flash back to cw within rom manager. Then flash back to rz from within cw when you're done.

Good luck and let me know if you need help or further explanation.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
Search tags for this page
can't open (bad) gapps clockworkmod
clockworkmod error downloading from server

clockworkmod gapps

cwm failed to flash gapps
error installing gapps
gapps cannot be installed via recovery

gapps clockworkmod

gapps install failed
how to use clockworkmod to install gapp