1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Clockwork MD5 Checksum mismatch

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by markc23, May 4, 2010.

1. markc23

markc23 Member

Greetings.
    I've searched high and low for the resolution to the MD5 checksum error when restoring a backup using Rom Manager/Clockwork. All I've found are references to "it used to happen to me but new version fixed it" etc. etc.
    I'm using the most recent version of RM and clockwork, this has happened over several roms and two SD cards, with clearing cache from inside RM, with uninstalling and re-installing RM.
    The program is great in all respects, except I can't get it to restore backups. I don't want to go back to SPRecovery.
    Is there a fix for this? Any help is appreciated, and thanks.
  2. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    I also had this happen and could not find a fix. I ended up going to a different backup to restore my phone and I have not had the problem again. I have read somewhere that if you received a text or call during the backup you could possibly have a corrupted file which caused the MD5 mismatch. I don't know if this is the case or not.

I would suggest trying a different backup file to restore and see if you are able to get your phone working again.
  3. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS New Member Developer

try clearing the cache every time you back up helps mine.
  4. markc23

markc23 Member

Thanks, I'm glad someone else has had the same experience, guess I'll have to restore SPRecovery. Since it's been happening since the beginning I doubt it's due to getting a call during each and every backup, but thanks for the thought.

5. markc23

markc23 Member

Are you saying that you had the same experience and clearing the cache before backup solved it?

6. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS New Member Developer

yeah. :icon_ banana:
  7. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

8. markc23

markc23 Member

Well I tried going back to SPRecovery, got stuck at the M, booted into programming mode, then exited that and it somehow fixed the M problem, then tried your fix below and it worked, I was able to restore a prior clockwork backup, so thanks. I don't like the extra steps but at least I'm not totally unprotected...:)

9. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Glad you were able to fix it. Hopefully you won't have to do it often, if ever again. I haven't had to do it recently, but...I guess there is always that chance. At least it is a semi-simple fix.
  10. browncoatsd

browncoatsd New Member

I ran into the same issue with the checksum error when trying to restore my Bugless Beast backup. I tried creating the new image in the backup folder but get the message:
    cannot create .md5:read-only file system.

I have Root Explorer but I'm not sure how to change access of that folder to read-write, any suggestions?
  11. stevegun

stevegun New Member

Hey guys I ran into this problem today and I'm running bugless beast and using clockwork mod recovery. The problem I had was when I named my backup. I saved it as "Current Beast 6/7/2010" Since I couldn't restore, I read this thread. Before wiping my cache I looked at the backup and explored it. Every other backup made in the clockwork mod recovery is saved with the name or default date you assigned and there is only one folder, no sub folders. By created a backup and naming it as I did, it created sub folders because of the forward slashes (/) I had put when I dated it. So all I did was move the backup data out of the sub folders and put it in the root folder of the bacup ("current beast") it fixed the MD5 error message and restored. No wiping needed. Just make sure you DO NOT!! Put forward slashes anywhere in the name you are creating. Hope this helps any other over achievers out there!! Lol
  12. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

lol, glad u solved your problem.

Whenever I rename, I always went along with how other backups were already named, I always used dashes.

This tip might be valuable for others having this issue.
  13. jal3223

jal3223 New Member

Whenever I get a MD5 mismatch error it is usually when I try to extract a zip file using my phone. When I extract the zip with my computer it seems to work. I'm not sure if this helps, just something i stumbled upon.
  14. stevegun

stevegun New Member

Quick question. ..is it possible to restore an old rom and then restore current data. I.e hancent messages,call log, etc?
  15. TheBungle

TheBungle New Member

Im sure you've moved on by now (been almost a year) but hopefully it'll help someone out.

If you get this error:
    Code:
    cannot create .md5:read-only file system.
    Then open Root Explorer. At the top is the option to change the card from Read Only to Read/Write.
    I did this and my new error is:
    Code:
    CD bad substitute.
    :icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:
    WTF
Search tags for this page
checksum error android
clockwork recovery md5 mismatch
how to fix checksum mismatch in installing backup android
md5 checksum error android
md5 checksum error fix
md5 checksum fail android