1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Clockwork discussion

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by rutger1413, Aug 8, 2010.

1. rutger1413

rutger1413 New Member

In response to Petes tweet:
    I am considering switching to clockwork recovery and using ROM Manager instead of SPRecovery. My concern is that i have seen there being more complaints about this method over SPRecovery (could be the fact that few ppl are using SPRecovery any more, but i personally have never had a problem with it) and im not really interested in dealing with a lot of bugs.

For those of you who have used both methods, what are your thoughts on the switch from SPRecovery.
  2. Eschy

Eschy New Member

the bugs they are talking about are as far as i can tell have been worked out. If you are talking about having a broken recovery image every once in a while where it just shows the moto screen then boots without going into recovery. I havent had this problem anymore for about a month. Definately switch over to clockwork it is way easier.
  3. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

As a long timg Clock Work user I finally jumped ship back to SPR (which I used when it first came out) CW just wasn't reliable when I needed it to be, as nice as some of the features within ROM Manager are if it cannot achieve it's primary purpose, to succesfully back-up and restore, then it is useless
  4. modified

modified New Member

While Clockwork has its fair share of bugs it is definitely easier to use and more stable than SPRecovery. This of course is my own opinion.
  5. shmoo

shmoo New Member

I've flip flopped back and forth between the 2 and I always find myself going back to SPR. It seems like CW just doesn't like my phone, it never likes to reboot into CW and for some reason I get nervous when I ye it cause I don't know if its going to work. SPR hands down is what I'm staying with.
  6. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

When everyone is talking about, eaiser to use, are you talking about Rom Manager not CW. SPR can do everything CW can do, please correct me if i'm wrong. Rom Manager's UI is a lot eaiser but it has had a ton of bugs for Froyo.
  7. Mikejl

Mikejl New Member

I find ClockworkMod Recovery will work fine consitantly if you eliminate ROM Manager. RM still has some bugs that will throw noobs off.

One problem in particular is with some ROMs where RM has a problem with the file name. You can select the ROM in rom manager and once it boots to CWM it errors like it can't find the file. If you select the same file from CWM recovery it will work fine.

I've had backups fail when started from RM, but work perfectly when initiated from CWM Recovery.

That said. I will take CMW Recovery and RM over SPRecovery every time.

Mike
  8. rutger1413

rutger1413 New Member

Thanks mike, thats the type of info i was looking for.

RM seems great, but im a Linux guy and prefer to possibly brick my device on my own. I do like the ability to browse the SD card in CW, but was hesitant b/c of all the bugs i heard come from it...which seem to primarily be a problem with RM.

What are ppls thoughts on the reliability of the backups CW makes vs SPR?
  9. Mikejl

Mikejl New Member

rutger,

You can browse your sdcard from SPRecovery too. Just select the Partition's menu.

Reliability of backups with CW are good right now, but to be honest a CW update could change that at any given time. I still hedge my bets by making a SPR nandroid backup once in a while.

Mike

Edit: Correction in SPRecovery you can't browse your sdcard, but you can mount it by USB to your computer to browse.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  10. Apollo

Apollo New Member

I've used both of them quite a few times now. No complaints about either. They both get the job done..
  11. powrful1

powrful1 Member

Heavy use both and swapped inside the application of clockwork mods and had no problems either way.... it is deathly easier to swap rom and kernels inside the clockwork recovery. That however is all relative because it's all fairly simple.
    But this is just 1 man's opinion.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  12. BuglessFan

BuglessFan New Member

Only time I've ever had an issue with CWR is in booting to recovery, and simply flashing an older recovery then the latest has fixed it every single time. It's not that frequent of an issue and is easy to resolve, but from comments from others you'd think it was the end of the world in instability. CWR restores have never failed and it has never once left me in a bad state with a lot of theme and kernel switches and full ROM loads. The day it makes me have to reroot is the day I complain. I've used SPR a few times too, and it's reliable as well. CWR just makes it all pretty fast and easy (especially backup and restore -- I do the former before every flash and often use the restore after experimenting).