Clock on screen when moving MAXX

JP 5.56

Reaction score
I just got my MAXX yesterday and am loving it except for one feature.

whenever the phone is moved and possibly when your hand waves over it the screen shows a clock.

when I was driving home tonight on a winding road the phone was in the seat next to me and was turning on the clock with every turn in the road.

how the heck do I turn that off?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

Einsteindks

Reaction score

whenever the phone is moved and possibly when your hand waves over it the screen shows a clock.

when I was driving home tonight on a winding road the phone was in the seat next to me and was turning on the clock with every turn in the road.

Its supposed to save you from having to hit the button all the time to unlock the screen. I suspect it's part of the touchless control, and I don't think that there is an off switch for that.

Fat-fingered from my D-Maxx. now Free

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
yeah I figured it would be in touch less but didn't see it. it's a nice feature but so darn sensitive and I can't help but to wonder if it's doing it needlessly when clipped to my belt holster.

thanks

Einsteindks

Reaction score
yeah I figured it would be in touch less but didn't see it. it's a nice feature but so darn sensitive and I can't help but to wonder if it's doing it needlessly when clipped to my belt holster.

thanks

No, I think you'll be alright. It takes very little battery power to show that small portion of the screen for a few seconds, almost negligible. The phone has to sit still for a few seconds before any movement activate the screen again. And even when it does come back on, if only for a few seconds. And even when it does come on, it take a deliberate swipe to turn the phone on completely.

Fat-fingered from my D-Maxx. now Free

doogald

Reaction score
That's active notifications. You can turn it off in settings. In my opinion, it's one of the best features of the phone.

unbesorgt

Reaction score

It sounds like you're not familiar with Active Notifications so here's a little background. This is one of the new features Motorola introduced with the Moto X, and the new Droid lineup. It doesn't just display the clock, but more importantly it will display any notifications you receive throughout the day -- missed calls, emails, texts, basically anything that generates a notification. If you touch the screen it will display a summary of the notification, and you can slide up to go straight into that app. Alternately you can slide down to just unlock the screen, or slide sideways to dismiss the notification.

You can disable Active Notifications in settings, or you can limit it to certain apps only. You can also toggle whether or not newly installed apps are automatically added.

Keep in mind that if you disable it, you will not have any type of indicator that you have missed calls or messages waiting. This feature replaces the LED that you find on other phones. It's also important to realize that because of the AMOLED screen, only the pixels necessary to draw the clock or notification are being lit up, so it's not lighting up the whole screen and burning battery. Also, the motion detection is performed by one of the low-power chips in the X8 computing system. You should not have to worry about battery life with this feature as it's part of the phone's core design.

Hope that helps, and enjoy your new phone!

OP
JP 5.56

JP 5.56

Reaction score
thanks for all the info. I like the other bits of the active notifications but didn't need the clock turning on so much. but it sounds like I don't need to worry. thanks!