Client Issue - IMAP

DroidLuva

Reaction score
I have 2 clients that I am trying to set up their Exchange Mail through an IMAP connection on the Droid and it is accepting the incoming mail server settings, but when I put in the SMTP settings for the outgoing mail server it is giving me the following error:

Set up could not finish. Cannot connect to server (500 5.3.3 Unrecognized command)

I have been able to successfully set up a number of blackberries and Iphones using the same IMAP and SMTP settings for other users in this same office and I also set up the 2 Droid users email profiles in Outlook using IMAP functionality.

So, I have verified that there is nothing wrong with the settings on the server or on the firewall.

Any ideas on how to make Exchange mail work for these clients without purchasing a third party software?

SpencerC

Reaction score
I have 2 clients that I am trying to set up their Exchange Mail through an IMAP connection on the Droid and it is accepting the incoming mail server settings, but when I put in the SMTP settings for the outgoing mail server it is giving me the following error:

Set up could not finish. Cannot connect to server (500 5.3.3 Unrecognized command)

I have been able to successfully set up a number of blackberries and Iphones using the same IMAP and SMTP settings for other users in this same office and I also set up the 2 Droid users email profiles in Outlook using IMAP functionality.

So, I have verified that there is nothing wrong with the settings on the server or on the firewall.

Any ideas on how to make Exchange mail work for these clients without purchasing a third party software?

I used the built in client for exchange and had issues. I got Touchdown and all my issues are gone. I know it doesnt answer your question, but most people with issues with the built in client have gone to Touchdown to resolve their issues from what I have read on this forum. Good luck!

OP
DroidLuva

DroidLuva

Reaction score
Thanks, but these attorneys don't want to spend more money and their Verizon rep told them some straight out lies and now because I am the I.T. person am supposed to make miracles happen.............

I have tried with both the Exchange and IMAP functions and with IMAP I am getting that error above.

I have my own Droid set up using the "Exchange" feature that is on the Droid by default and I have no issues at all.

SpencerC

Reaction score
Thanks, but these attorneys don't want to spend more money and their Verizon rep told them some straight out lies and now because I am the I.T. person am supposed to make miracles happen.............

I have tried with both the Exchange and IMAP functions and with IMAP I am getting that error above.

I have my own Droid set up using the "Exchange" feature that is on the Droid by default and I have no issues at all.

Welp you can't make miracle happen if the technology doesnt support it. There is a resolution and it is Touchdown. Download the trial version, show them that it works and tell them the time you spend trying to make the default client work is costing them more than the $25 that it will cost to get Touchdown. It is a one time charge. If you make more than 52k/yr they are spending more per hour on you to figure this out than buying Touchdown.

My manager came to me and said he wanted to get the Droid and have it work with Exchange. I told him he would need to BUY! touchdown or keep his Blackberry because I would not support the Droid. He bought it and is happy as a clam in water. Once again, good luck.