Clearing your cache...

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by 94lt1, Jul 16, 2012.

1. cardr

cardr New Member

So this isn't just a Cache cleaner, it's like a factory reset? Apps are wiped what else is gone after this reset?
  2. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

No this clears just your phone cache, no programs, settings, or anything else will be deleted.
  3. ricks

ricks Member

The app I mentioned only clears the cache. Nothing else will be touched.
  4. bruben7886

bruben7886 New Member

To clarify
    Tho OP way of clearing the cache (we'll worry about the data reset later) clears the phone cache.... kinda like emptying the windows temp folder.
    The app mentioned later clears out individual applications' cache. Some apps store cache. The droidforums app stores pictures of the avatars to make scrolling smoother. The cache clearing apps take care of this.
    So....so far I've mentioned 2 types of cache, the phone's and apps'. The original post shows how to clean the phone's......the cache cleaner app cleans individual apps residue.
    The data reset (fdr) mentioned wipes your data. In other words it clears everything you've downloaded to the phone and takes it back to how it looked and acted when you first got it.
    Notice I said that it wipes everything on the phone. It should leave the external sd card alone if you don't ask it to wipe that as well.
    Sorry for the rant.....seemed clarification was needed.
  5. bruben7886

bruben7886 New Member

Soooo.......I got curious after reading another thread on cache clearing. I had 7.7 cache. I did clear cache from recovery. I still had 7.7 after reboot. Used cache cleaner app to clean it.
    An analogy was brought up in that other thread. Pretend your room is your phone and your closets are individual apps.
    Clearing cache via recovery is like cleaning your room...without cleaning the closets. Clearing cache via a cache cleaning app is like cleaning out the closets...without cleaning the room.
  6. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I think that was my statement.. and I apparently made it backwards :blink: sorry. But that's right, clearing through recovery clears the phones cache, not the apps.
  7. cardr

cardr New Member

Excellent Thanks!! I just didn't want to do all the operations you mentioned and then it wipe all my data...... Thanks!
  8. aarong03

aarong03 Member

Awesome, thanks for all the comments, got some good insight and info. One more question, do I need to uncheck the box labeled under privacy, Automatic restore prior to doing an FDR?
  9. azle

azle New Member

If I do a FR will it delete the 215 leak I have installed on my SD card? if so will i just have to reload the leak from card? will I lose everything contacts, pics and APPs? I know I have them on my Gmail to re load, just wondering if my phone will be wiped clean? Thank you in advance!

Azle
  10. MattyP

MattyP Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

It will have no effect on your .215, you will still be on .215 after you do a FDR ... you can back up your contacts with Backup Assistant or with Google Backup. You can move pics to your SD Card. As far as apps, it will delete them if you select "Wipe Internal Storage" when you do the FDR. You would have to re-install your apps.

Look on the Play Store before you FDR, and find an app called "App Dragon" ... it will send a list of your apps to your email, so that you can just go down the list when you re-install them. :)
  11. azle

azle New Member

Matty your DaMan, i have all my app on Gmail not a problem there. Not sure how to move my pics and music to SD card? I just did a clear cashe and got the app cashe cleaner and the app said nothing to clear?? is that good, this was directly after i did a system cashe clear.

Thanks again!

Azle

DIGGIN THIS DEVICE!
  12. MattyP

MattyP Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

You can use the "My Files" app in your app drawer, or you can use the USB cable and back them up to a computer or laptop, by creating a folder on your desktop and then copy and paste the files from the phone to your PC ... that's what I do, because you just never know when a SD Card might decide to suddenly have a problem. :)
  13. MadlibTheBadKid

MadlibTheBadKid New Member

Noob question...will a wipe cache delete my texts? Just a fdr will, right?
  14. showtime2k

showtime2k New Member

Probably a stupid question but the instructions for cleaing cache that were originally posted, would this work for a rooted phone? Vrz sent me a razr maxx to replace my Bionic that just wouldn't hold a 4G connection. I FR and rooted it but I find it a bit sluggish. Can I use these steps to wipe the cache since my phone is rooted or is there another method?
  15. wsmitty

wsmitty New Member

contacts after FDR

While everyone is asking questions, I have one of my own. I was working on my contacts for a while. I deleted some duplicates and joined some others (facebook, hotmail, etc.)

I do not want to have to go through this again if I do a FDR. I am using backup assistant +. Is that saving my contacts as they are or just the verizon backup part?
  16. 94lt1

Just the backup.
  17. 94lt1

Yep, it works for rooted devices too.
  18. 94lt1

Clearing the cache will not remove texts... :) an fdr will.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  19. YellowJacket

YellowJacket Active Member

I've been thinking about doing a cache clean or FDR just to see if if speeds things up on my Maxx which really isn't having any problems at all. However, the thought occurred to me that I ought to do it with a FULL charge.

I've been wondering how many do it with less than a full charge and have subsequent battery problems.... Just a thought.

David
  20. YellowJacket

YellowJacket Active Member

So I was bored this long weekend and decided that rather than study for my end of rotation exams, I'd redo my phone.

Clearing the cache did seem to speed things up but I wasn't happy with that so I did a full FDR (after fully charging my Maxx) and reinstalled only the apps that I use the most and need. Disabled the bloat and off to the races.

From previous experiences with smartphones - custom ROM flashing on my older WM phones, I learned that the first few days of use after a flash will yield that worst battery life as things "settle in" and the battery meter recalibrates. So I was not surprised that my Maxx battery drained a bit faster yesterday than usual...about twice as fast.

So, I'm going to give it a couple days to settle in and see how things go. Overall though, things DO seem much faster and responsive.

One interesting thing though is I had a custom background prior to doing the FDR and it was there when I rebooted. Also, it remembered all my wifi logon keys. Interesting. I guess thats all stored on the SD card.

David
Search tags for this page
clear cache droid razr
clear cache droid razr maxx

clear cache on razr maxx

clear cache razr maxx

clearing cache on razr maxx

droid razr maxx clear cache

how to clear cache on droid razr
how to clear cache on droid razr maxx

how to clear cache on razr maxx

how to clear cache razr maxx