Clearing Up Some Discussion

GBH2

Reaction score
For those of you who doubt Motorola and talk bad on them, let me begin by re-elaborating. They know what they are doing. Unlike most companies they provide phones to VZW nearly flawless of any major issues. Motorola has a very good internal test team. Things continue to look great with the phone of discussion.

PS: iphone lovers may enjoy a certain "thing" about this phone

You are scaring me now! lol. Whenever companies try to emulate Apple they always pick the BAD stuff about Apple - e.g. closed system. non-removable batteries, iTunes.

If companies tried to match Apples solid hardware and smoothness and leave all the other apple crap out they might just have a winner! :)

Seriously though, I am a big Motorola fan, as long as they deliver a solid device as far as quality and performance they will have a huge hit on their hands! :) ( ... and unlock the bootloaders!)

Last edited:

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

About the only thing I would love from the iphone is display.. in both quality and amount of the face it occupies (i.e. no large gap between edge of screen and edge of phone). I doubt either of those are making it to this phone, so I'm not sure how to feel about this...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

About the only thing I would love from the iphone is display.. in both quality and amount of the face it occupies (i.e. no large gap between edge of screen and edge of phone). I doubt either of those are making it to this phone, so I'm not sure how to feel about this...

I'm 99.9% sure this phone will have the same pentile 960x540 qhd resolution screen that the DX2 and D3 have. While the resolution is high, and some things look nicer, pentile has poor color/pixel management. To quote this article on Droid Life:

"I think the real story here is that “qHD” is another of this year’s marketing gimmicks by Motorola to brag about a higher resolution screen to compete with you-know-who, when it’s pretty obvious here that they are cutting a corner to make those dual-core processors last more than 3 hours without having to increase the price of their phones."

And fwiw, I'm not trying to bash Moto - I love Moto and they put out great phones. Just sharing some facts to, hopefully, keep the hype in check.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm 99.9% sure this phone will have the same pentile 960x540 qhd resolution screen that the DX2 and D3 have. While the resolution is high, and some things look nicer, pentile has poor color/pixel management. To quote this article on Droid Life:

"I think the real story here is that “qHD” is another of this year’s marketing gimmicks by Motorola to brag about a higher resolution screen to compete with you-know-who, when it’s pretty obvious here that they are cutting a corner to make those dual-core processors last more than 3 hours without having to increase the price of their phones."

And fwiw, I'm not trying to bash Moto - I love Moto and they put out great phones. Just sharing some facts to, hopefully, keep the hype in check.

I completely agree... I was more-so saying that I didn't think the bionic would be getting the iphone screen and that is the only thing I would want from the iphone... so I don't know how I feel about Engineers 900's projection. Somewhat disconcerting to be honest. But Engineer has yet to have a negative thing to say about this phone, so I guess I'm just cautiously optimistic that it's something good.

Renae

Reaction score
I am not an iphone lover, so it better be something cool not lame, like that weird one button thing on the front that I can never figure out and end up wanting to throw friends iphones/ipads across the room.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

wlrottge

Reaction score
The "thing" I love a/b a Moto Droid is that they're NOT an iPhone.

Like some others, I try to use one and they're so dumbed down that they're hard to figure out, lol.

Renae

Reaction score
The "thing" I love a/b a Moto Droid is that they're NOT an iPhone.

Like some others, I try to use one and they're so dumbed down that they're hard to figure out, lol.

I tried to figure out wireless on the damn thing for about 15 minutes.....I just wanted to grab the wep password for a couple of us android users in a committee meeting.....we gave up...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Thunderbolt does voice/data at the same time - it's the only Verizon phone that can (on 3G only) b/c it has a SVDO chip in it. They never marketed it b/c it's a clunky workaround that is supposedly unreliable - but I never had issues with it and have heard of others where it worked fine for them as well.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Thunderbolt does voice/data at the same time - it's the only Verizon phone that can (on 3G only) b/c it has a SVDO chip in it. They never marketed it b/c it's a clunky workaround that is supposedly unreliable - but I never had issues with it and have heard of others where it worked fine for them as well.

But is that an iphone feature or an AT&T feature?

anuraj1

Reaction score
For those of you who doubt Motorola and talk bad on them, let me begin by re-elaborating. They know what they are doing. Unlike most companies they provide phones to VZW nearly flawless of any major issues. Motorola has a very good internal test team. Things continue to look great with the phone of discussion.

I really can't stand the i*hone. Someone before me said it best, "overly dumbed down." I don't like having my hand held through things and being told what is best for me.

That being said, there are a couple of good things about them like the display, the hardware acceleration and the simple form factor that I do like. I'd love our familiar Droid battletank looking phone with some HW acceleration though!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

But is that an iphone feature or an AT&T feature?

I would definitely call it an AT&T feature that the iPhone has utilized as one of "its" benefits. Or maybe AT&T has used the iPhone to tout that feature... either way, I agree, it's definitely an AT&T thing.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Message from Winston HoFo:

So Sanjay outed that the LTE chip is internal, guess he can do that.

let's see...
-Motorola did do their own GSM chip (see Milestone, Cliq, Backflip) but not a CDMA chip.
-You develop your owe chip to develop IP and get patents. If you wonder if that is important, ask HTC (believe they are paying Microsoft like $5 per phone and are in trouble with Apple) or Samsung (who is in trouble with Apple).
-Motorola also does their own PMU/Audio chip (see every high tier phone)
-The issues with the chip aren't battery (not that it is great though, LTE sucks mad power). Gen2 chips are still a year away.
-Do you want to know Verizon's busiest tower in the country? Libertyville, IL. And trust me, their LTE network has a long way to go.
-yep, 5 LTE devices this year. Don't ask, I won't say.
-and yes Bionic is coming. I don't know when, the date is a Verizon decision. A bunch have been built though.