Clearing the Razr HD/Maxx (##PROGRAM) Menu ROOT CHECKER

xmguy

Reaction score
Some of you may or may not know that the HD/Maxx has a Root checker in the ##PROGRAM menu (accessed from the phone dialer. At the bottom a menu option says Device Rooting, clicking it will either say Rooted or Not Rooted. Well I (like most) root my phones. I found this out and pointed it out to Droid-Life. Up to now I could flash back 20 ICS and OTA to JB and that would clear the Root Checker. Now even FXZing and reapplying the OTA update via recovery won't do it.

So my issue I'm returning a defective Maxx HD to VZW and need it un rooted. So I tried all my usual methods. No luck...

Any ideas anyone!?

Tip: Check the ?Rooted? Status on Your DROID RAZR HD ? Droid Life

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Even when you clear it from the program menu it will always appear in stock recovery (qe or qu I can't remember off the top of my head). As far as I know, there is no way to clear it.

Sent from my Razr HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Even when you clear it from the program menu it will always appear in stock recovery (qe or qu I can't remember off the top of my head). As far as I know, there is no way to clear it.

I'm aware of the Root Checker in recovery. However when unrooted it will show 0/1 meaning it WAS rooted but isn't now. Mine that is STOCK unrooted still says 1/1, meaning rooted now and rooted before. I wonder if I should reroot the phone then manually unroot it?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Right but isn't the issue that it was rooted? Even if its not now if they wanna be a bully about it they can see it was "tampered" with and refuse service or charge you for it.

Anyway, removing the root from system manually may help for what you need. Good idea.

KaChow

Reaction score
Some of you may or may not know that the HD/Maxx has a Root checker in the ##PROGRAM menu (accessed from the phone dialer. At the bottom a menu option says Device Rooting, clicking it will either say Rooted or Not Rooted. Well I (like most) root my phones. I found this out and pointed it out to Droid-Life. Up to now I could flash back 20 ICS and OTA to JB and that would clear the Root Checker. Now even FXZing and reapplying the OTA update via recovery won't do it.

So my issue I'm returning a defective Maxx HD to VZW and need it un rooted. So I tried all my usual methods. No luck...

Any ideas anyone!?

Tip: Check the ?Rooted? Status on Your DROID RAZR HD ? Droid Life

I really didn't expect that FXZing back would remove "Rooted" lock, which even the droid-life article mentions that you need to return back to ICS, and that is also how I understood this. Now, if you were looking for a way to downgrade, which the way I would begin with> go into a Safestrap backup of 4.1.1 (use Matt's old utility to downgrade to 4.0.4) or better yet if you have a backup of 4.0.4 then just downgrade to that, kill root and then do an fdr. I managed to downgrade from 4.1.2 to 4.1.1 with Safestrap, afterall they are just backups. I'm also assuming from signature that you just have Root and the unlocked bootloader was not explored (as nothing fixes that.)

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
I don't have a safe strap backup of 4.1.1. I tried Matt's app but it soft bricked the phone. Trying to go from 4.1.2 to ICS. No my phone isn't unlocked as in the boot loader.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx HD using Droid Forums

debrad0307

Reaction score
I'm curious as to when this root checker was added. When I had my bionic (less than a year ago) it didn't have that. I'm also curious as to if Verizon added this feature or if Motorola did. Judging by how you access the checker (by the dialer) I'm wondering if Verizon added it. The S3 has a flash counter in Odin mode but it can be reset with an app. I guess Verizon is buckling down on rooted/rommed devices. That makes sense since they refuse to unlock any bootloader. :(

Correction: Samsung devices have a flash counter. Not just the S3.

Sent from my Synergized S3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
My Bionic doesn't have the ##PROGRAM root checker but it does have the 1/1 qe in the Recovery menu. I've given up on attempting to get the root checker to clear. The phones DON'T have root so what is VZW gonna do!?

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Guys do you all know ANY way to get the Maxx HD back to NOT ROOTED in the program menu and qe 0/1 in the recovery menu?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Its impossible to reset the qe.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
How bout resetting the Rooted status in the program menu?

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx HD using Droid Forums

StewPeirce

Reaction score
##program

I "dialed" the above and was asked for the "SPC password" what is that?