Cleanup in aisle 3!

cr08

Reaction score
So I am fairly new to the forum. Been lurking the past few weeks and doing some research, getting all my stuff straight for a soon-to-be phone upgrade.

I'm currently running a Sprint Motorola Q9c (WinMo Standard/non-touch 6.1) on Boost Mobile. So I do have some smartphone experience so far, albeit at this point in time the Q9c is a very 'basic' smartphone. My cousin is upgrading from a Droid 1 to Droid 3 in the next week or so and will be giving me his Droid 1. At this point it is highly likely it will be ending up on Page Plus with the 1200min/1200txt/100MB ~$30/mo plan. My brother also has an LG Ally that I have used personally off and on so know my way around android some. I'm also fairly fluent in using linux (command line largely) so that is a plus.

With the new phone in my hands soon I've been plotting out specifically how I'm going to have it set up. Likely going to root it right away, go with Cyanogenmod, strict SetCPU setup, Locale or something like it, and some mild core linux tweaks such as increasing the wifi scan interval. And most specifically finding an application to limit what can and cannot use the 3G connection. I read about one before but can't remember the name. Since I'd only have 100MB a month I'd tighten it down and probably just let the push mail use 3G and lock everything else out. I expect Wifi will be a large focus. Worst case I can use the low speed uncapped QNC connection for some things. The only thing that might be an issue is Google Maps Navigation. I have fallen in love with it but I expect it eats up bandwidth a lot and has a sizable speed requirement beyond QNC's capability.

Anything I've missed here? Anything I should be made aware of? One thing you should also know about me is I tend to try and push the envelope of what certain hardware is capable of. I have an older HP PocketPC PDA with Wifi and GPS built in and have attempted to turn it into a full incar infotainment system.

Anyways, hi! :)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You're doing the right things....reading and mapping out a plan. The D1 is an "older" phone but I still am using it and it definitely can pull it's weight. If you find an app that limits 3g to calls only that will let you step into letting other apps use 3G so you don't encroach on limits. this forum mostly covers Verizon phones for which you can get a 2gb data plan and I'm not familiar with what Spring offers. 2gb is far more than most people use unless they are constantly downloading roms, via the phone, to swap around.

There is a lot of customization you can do with the D1 and a lot of roms to try out. That in itself should keep you busy a while.

At least you won't be waiting for your "new" phone to have root access. All the legwork has already been done on this one.

OP
cr08

cr08

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Also, I did look up the app I was talking about. It's called DroidWall which is more or less an iptables GUI and can whitelist or blacklist applications (or even built in processes) from the 3G or Wifi connections. Will definitely be bookmarking that one.

I'd also like to add that I am ECSTATIC they finally added a web presence to the market. Was such an annoyance before not being able to look stuff up without having an actual android device in front of me.

OP
cr08

cr08

Reaction score
So I just got the Droid the other day. First thing in my hands beyond activating on new service was rooting and reflashing. Clockwork Recovery + Cyanogenmod 7 (stable) + ChevyNo1's LowV 1ghz kernel. Originally started with a ULV kernel but was horribly unstable and would constantly crash. Switched to LV and it is now extremely stable. Loving the experience so far, you have no idea.

I do have a couple concerns though that maybe someone can answer me:

1) Performance. I know the Droid is now pretty much EOL and a couple years old but I have some performance concerns. Seems switching between some screens I have to be really patient with it. I'm hoping on it being something I can actually fix. Either looking at the kernel (which I have with SetCPU set to ondemand, 125mhz-550mhz and no profiles) or maybe the SD card (8GB Class 2 from my Q9c. Not formatted since switching, just deleting everything but music and photos).

2) Camera button: Apparently since switching to CM7 the camera button no longer opens the camera app. Though after manually opening it, the button works just fine to focus and shutter like stock. Would like to change that but not sure exactly how at this moment.

3) Stock music app shows all music as 'Unknown Artist' but the album and track titles show. This looks like a simple case of using a tag editor on the desktop and fixing up the tags there to appease the tag scanner in android. Though if there is a fix for android, that'd be awesome.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
1) Performance. I know the Droid is now pretty much EOL and a couple years old but I have some performance concerns. Seems switching between some screens I have to be really patient with it.

Go to the cyanogen settings\performance and lock the home app in memory. While you're there disable the "use JIT". Also make sure that any icon(app) thats on the home screens hasn't been moved to the SD. It takes longer to load from the SD than it does from the phone. Another trick I've learned is, when you're finished with an app, exit the app with the back button. Not the home button. Another trick is to go to settings\applications\devlopment and select "stop app via long-press". Then whenever you hold down the back button, you'll kill the foreground app. Its like using the home button, but it will stop the app from staying in memory.
Memory has always been an issue with gingerbread on the D1. Using the advice above, 99.9% of the time I have zero redraws.

As for #'s 2 & 3. My camera button works and I don't use the stock music app. Maybe someone will stop by and offer some advice.

Sent from the Unbrickable DROID

OP
cr08

cr08

Reaction score
Thanks! I did the performance tweaks and even checked out some of the other ones in that menu and it has boosted perceivable performance dramatically. No more home screen redraws!

Camera app I found was my problem. Apparently need to hold down the camera button for a short moment for it to open. Wasn't giving out that chance originally.

Music app I still haven't figured out yet, but once again I assume it is something I will have to tweak in my library.

I do have one more thing to add that I haven't seen too much mention of around the net is that while docked in the official motorola media dock, the touch screen is extremely glitchy. Haven't been able to figure that one out yet.

Thanks again! Living the Android kool-ade so far! :p

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums