Cleantool Script

Fastbird

Reaction score
I can't get it to work. The command window when I run, acts like its running, but it says unknown device at all steps. I did everything as instructed...any ideas?

Posting from my Rezound....enjoying the beats.

bvjens31

Reaction score
I can't get it to work. The command window when I run, acts like its running, but it says unknown device at all steps. I did everything as instructed...any ideas?

I dunno, I'd suspect a driver issue. Sure you got the HTC drivers installed correctly? Sorry, I didn't do this method so I really can't help much. I've used the doom/zerg temp root a few times and it's worked each time.

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score

Do you have HTC sync running in your PC? If so turn it off. Also make sure the phone is in charge mode and USB debugging is on.

Sent from my HTC Rezound

Fastbird

Reaction score
Do you have HTC sync running in your PC? If so turn it off. Also make sure the phone is in charge mode and USB debugging is on.

Sent from my HTC Rezound

I installed the drivers but don't run the program. Did I not install the right drivers?

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
If you have sync installed it will pop up when you plug in your phone. Just check your system tray for sync, and if it's running....KILL IT ;)

mikeinctown

Reaction score
I bet that's what my problem was. Sync was up on the screen. I'm hesitant to do anything right now as I'm not sure if the phone will be exchanged or not at this point.

Sent from my Rezound using DroidForums.

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Its really easy to set back to factory ..which you'd do anyway returning/exhanging the device.

Sent from my HTC Rezound

Fastbird

Reaction score
Pwned by HTC Sync. It was running in the background on my Win7 computer. Turned it off, and the script ran like a champ. Rebooting the phone right now to see if everything took or not.

WOW! Booted to 569 free MB of ram out of 817 showing (using the task manager function widget in Go Launcher). After a few minutes I'm still at 523 free ram, and nothing I don't want seems to be popping up now. AWESOME!

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Good news. For anyone using a Mac or Linux(not like you need the help).... I've ported this script to work for either. All you need is the Android SDK installed same rules as Windows users applies:
Charge only mode
USB Debugging Enabled

EVSP

Reaction score
Okay, I know this is a STUPID question, but I have to ask before I mess with anything that I'm unfamiliar with... if I go to the cleantool script link that directs me to XDA developers forum and click on the text file (All packages.txt listed near the bottom in the 2nd posting) that's included on that page, it opens the notepad on my computer and I can take out what I don't want removed, how does that carry over to the batch file when I run it? I really am new to this kind of thing and I've rooted a phone before and flashed ROMs but this is new territory for me... I could just run the cleantool script as instructed but there are certain things I don't want removed and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how modifying a text file in notepad would cross over to the zip file that gets extracted to my desktop.

It also appears to me that the cleantool script that opens in notepad would remove everything off the phone.. in other words, there's a whole bunch more there than what the OP listed on his list considered as bloatware.. wallpapers, widgets, calendar, camera, music, calculator, etc. .. I wouldn't want some of that to go away and there is a LOT of "disable" stuff in there... if deleting in that text file what I don't want removed from my phone DOES cross over to the zip file somehow, that's a huge amount of sorting of files that *I* don't necessarily know what attaches to the applications I want to keep. Does my question make any sense? When I reread it, it may sound a little confusing to you experts out there. Just seems like I would be less confused if the text file associated with this d/l had only what most consider "bloatware" listed instead of the entire phone's application list (or is it?) I'm leary doing this as there is a slew of lines with "disable" in front of it... It could be that the zip file itself only has listed the bloatware that would be disabled and not every application on the phone and that the "All packages.txt" is a info-only kind of file for the more advanced users out there to review.. if I'm overthinking it, is this modifying option available once you run the cleantool script? I just need clarification before I do this, I guess.

Help a sista out :D Am I making this harder than it should be? Thanks!! :)

Last edited:
OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll get more into this in a few(got a meeting) but what's on XDA is just the app list. The actual scripts are on scottsroms.com

OP
MrSmith317

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, let's start from the beginning. First, go to scottsroms.com(under downloads) and grab cleantool v1.1 (or whatever the latest version is) . Next up grab my list(which you already have). Unzip cleantool and edit the CleanTOOL.bat file. Down towards the bottom you will see a bunch of "@adb shell pm disable com.blah.blah" commands. Take the chosen com.blah.blah(whatever application you want to disable) from my text list and insert it into the cleanTOOL.bat file. Let's say you want to disable taskmanager.

Edit CleanTOOL.bat
(down where the other disable lines are add another)
@adb shell pm disable com.htc.taskmanager
Save the file. Run it.

If you put "REM" at the beginning of a line it will stop that line from running.
This helps if you want to keep track of what you've disabled/enabled

If you want to re-enable something change the disable to enable...for example
@adb shell pm enable com.htc.taskmanager

I think you get the idea. If you're still having problems PM me and I'll help you try to get your batch file in shape.

EVSP

Reaction score
Ok, let's start from the beginning. First, go to scottsroms.com(under downloads) and grab cleantool v1.1 (or whatever the latest version is) . Next up grab my list(which you already have). Unzip cleantool and edit the CleanTOOL.bat file. Down towards the bottom you will see a bunch of "@adb shell pm disable com.blah.blah" commands. Take the chosen com.blah.blah(whatever application you want to disable) from my text list and insert it into the cleanTOOL.bat file. Let's say you want to disable taskmanager.

Edit CleanTOOL.bat
(down where the other disable lines are add another)
@adb shell pm disable com.htc.taskmanager
Save the file. Run it.

If you put "REM" at the beginning of a line it will stop that line from running.
This helps if you want to keep track of what you've disabled/enabled

If you want to re-enable something change the disable to enable...for example
@adb shell pm enable com.htc.taskmanager

I think you get the idea. If you're still having problems PM me and I'll help you try to get your batch file in shape.

Got it all squared away - that was SUPER easy - I ran the batch while I was waiting on your help just to see what it would do or if it gave me a modify screen when I installed it but it took all the stated bloatware off, which is okay, I saw something about how to go back and re-enable stuff.. so I did more reading about how to put some of what I wanted back on... I figured out what I wasn't doing was once I opened the window for the CleanTOOL v1.1, I wasn't right-clicking on the "CleanTOOL.bat" file and selecting "Edit" ... it's there that I was supposed to be doing all the modifying before I ran it but no worries - I went in and changed a few to "enable" instead of "disable" and re-ran it ... I didn't see where it said to do that part so I got confused. Thank you!! Now I'm mostly bloatware free lol!!

My issue may help others who run into the same questions, hopefully :) Thank you for your help!!

Fastbird

Reaction score
I downloaded the complete Rezound list (the .PNG one) and am going to really hit the disable list hard over the next couple of days. There's a freaking TON of crap I want to freeze.