Clean Up Your Droid Without A Backup! Don't Lose Todays Important Info!

neccoguy21

Reaction score
Do you feel like your phone is bogging down, and all you want to do is get rid of whatever it is you might have installed but don't know what it was? Do you see something on your SD card that you're not sure of where it came from or if its important? When was your last backup?

Are you afraid if you install the backup you made a tad too long ago, you'll lose all the important info and things you created and saved since then?

THANK YOU to jstafford1 of the Rescue Squad for help on this one! Im simply paraphrasing his threads from this PREVIOUS ONE

How To Clean Up Your (Rooted) Droid In 5 Easy Steps:

:icon_exclaim:This won't save your settings, but its worth it to keep your Contact Pics intact, right? Or your Handcent conversations? How about all of the notes you typed up, the concerts you asked for reminders of, the bookmarks in your browser or high scores in your favorite games? This will all be saved!:icon_exclaim:

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE. I AM ONLY PROVIDING INFORMATION. IT IS UP TO YOU AND YOU ALONE TO FOLLOW WHAT IS POSTED HERE.

(If you don't have Titanium Backup, go buy it from the market. It is we'll worth the $4.)

1. Backup To Computer
Make a full backup image of your sd card on your computer ensuring recovery of anything you had before you started the process. Also make a backup on your phone.

2. Backup Important Apps

Backup only the apps you need to keep your data for. (Google Maps if it has your locations saved for directions, xScope if you have your favorite home screen organized how you want, Handcent if your notifications are super customized, or Sound Hound if you've got 100 albums worth of music tagged that you'll never remember) Do Not backup the apps that run like new every time you open it, or that only have a couple settings needed to run how you like (dont back up your overclock app, fun picture editing app, or anything else that may already have its own internet backup system) Make a note of the ones you want to reinstall after you clean up.

*Helpful Note*: If you have Apps Organizer you can make a label of the apps you need to save. Titanium Backup shows you everything, so it can be a tad cluttered. Don't be fooled by your system apps and all that. Those are what will come back after the factory data wipe.

3. Clean Up SD Card
Keep a few clean backups for safety including the most recent one you made, but get rid of the clutter of the rest. (they're on your computer anyway, remember?) Delete everything else you know you don't need from your sd card, including your roms and themes (you can reload them from the backup files you saved on your computer, or you can just come right back to the forums for the links to redownload.) Keep anything else you're unsure of, and if issues persist on your phone, do some research on whatever is left on your card.

4. Reboot Into Recovery
Do a factory data reset and cache wipe (2 for safety). Reboot phone

5. Reinstall From The Market
Reinstall Titanium Backup from the Market, And recover just those apps with the data you needed to save.
Once you've logged in to Google, the Market will know what you've downloaded (under Menu, Downloads) and you can reinstall the rest of the apps you wanted back.

This may be a bit time consuming depending on how many apps you have and need to save, but it will clean everything up very nicely.

Try to keep the apps you know you don't use that often totally off your phone, and just reinstall them from the market later when you need them. Make a note of the ones you can't remember.

Last edited:

Cycle50

Reaction score
Good info but the title is kinda misleading. Title says "Clean up your Droid without a backup!"

But steps 1 and 2 are to make a backup and step 5 is to recover from those backups.

OP
neccoguy21

neccoguy21

Reaction score
Good info but the title is kinda misleading. Title says "Clean up your Droid without a backup!"

But steps 1 and 2 are to make a backup and step 5 is to recover from those backups.

True. I guess i meant to title it "...Without Using a Nandroid Backup" or "Only Using Titanium BU" or "...The only thing you do in recovery is data wipe and reboot"... but it seemed like this would draw the most people in. Besides, everyone should always make a backup for safe keeping before you do anything drastic, but if everything goes well, you dont need to access those backups. Just Titanium's info you asked it to save.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can re-title this if you'd like.

And, I do have a stupid question. What is an easy way to do a full backup image of my SD Card?

Droids

Reaction score
What is an easy way to do a full backup image of my SD Card?
I drag and drop the entire contents of the sd card to a folder on the computer named Droid Backup. If I want multiple backups I would create sub-folders under Droid Backup named by date, 2010-05-16 for today's backup.

And I do this after using Astro to backup all apps. Astro won't restore like TB, but good to have the apk's backed up on the computer just the same.

OP
neccoguy21

neccoguy21

Reaction score
What is an easy way to do a full backup image of my SD Card?
I drag and drop the entire contents of the sd card to a folder on the computer named Droid Backup. If I want multiple backups I would create sub-folders under Droid Backup named by date, 2010-05-16 for today's backup.

And I do this after using Astro to backup all apps. Astro won't restore like TB, but good to have the apk's backed up on the computer just the same.

Exactly what I would have said. But remember, only restore the apps from TB that you NEED the data from. The rest you should redownload from the Market. That way you don't transfer any of that buggy data we're trying to get rid of in the first place.

And no, I don't need the title changed... Not yet anyway. If I come up with a better one I'll let you know. I think the extended explanation in my last reply probably helps now.