Class 10, SDMicro and Virtual Memory

jkinkead

Reaction score
New to droids but wanted to get one thing clear, are we able to use the SD cards as virtual memory and if so, how?

My phone came with a 2gb card and I want to replace it but am having a hard time finding something good within my home town. I saw a patriot class 10 32gb online but read some articles that said they freeze the phones up. Any input? I also read an article saying the read and write times on the class 10 lexar were pretty good.

I haven't rooted yet and have a little lag when I swipe after waking the phone up and was hoping a larger card would speed things up a bit. Any input would be appreciated.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
New to droids but wanted to get one thing clear, are we able to use the SD cards as virtual memory and if so, how?

My phone came with a 2gb card and I want to replace it but am having a hard time finding something good within my home town. I saw a patriot class 10 32gb online but read some articles that said they freeze the phones up. Any input? I also read an article saying the read and write times on the class 10 lexar were pretty good.

I haven't rooted yet and have a little lag when I swipe after waking the phone up and was hoping a larger card would speed things up a bit. Any input would be appreciated.

I don't believe a bigger SD card will make your phone less laggy. SD card is mostly used for storage and by default is not used as virtual memory for your phone.

Are you using the default Blur launcher for your home screen? You may want to try a different home screen launcher like LaunchPro or ADW.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't believe a bigger SD card will make your phone less laggy. SD card is mostly used for storage and by default is not used as virtual memory for your phone.

Are you using the default Blur launcher for your home screen? You may want to try a different home screen launcher like LaunchPro or ADW.

+1 for both comments.

OP
J

jkinkead

Reaction score
I understand it is set by default but how do I enable it to be used as vm? Anyone else have any input on the effects of greater sd memory and geneal phone functions.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
I understand it is set by default but how do I enable it to be used as vm? Anyone else have any input on the effects of greater sd memory and geneal phone functions.

Why would you want to? Your 16GB internal flash memory already has a partition reserved for swap space. Adding additional swap space is not going to improve the lag you are experiencing with your phone.

A bigger SD card means you have have more music, movies, etc.

OP
J

jkinkead

Reaction score
I know that this extra space can be used as data storage but it must be able to be used as virtual memory just as any PC would use unused storage space. I am not quite sure what you mean by the 16gb flash memory. My phone has 8gb internal flash and than a 2gb card.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
I know that this extra space can be used as data storage but it must be able to be used as virtual memory just as any PC would use unused storage space. I am not quite sure what you mean by the 16gb flash memory. My phone has 8gb internal flash and than a 2gb card.

Sorry, typed 16GB instead of 8GB.

What I'm saying is, there is already allocated space for virtual memory and it is located on your internal flash memory.

You wouldn't want the virtual memory on your SD card because when you connect to your SD card using USB to your computer, the phone won't be able to access it and most likely crash.

The lag on your phone is not from not having enough virtual memory. It is from Motorola Blur which is why a lot of people on this forum root their phones and use custom ROMs. If you don't want to do that, then try a different home screen launcher.

OP
J

jkinkead

Reaction score
Any other input?

skennelly

Reaction score

Sorry, typed 16GB instead of 8GB.

What I'm saying is, there is already allocated space for virtual memory and it is located on your internal flash memory.

You wouldn't want the virtual memory on your SD card because when you connect to your SD card using USB to your computer, the phone won't be able to access it and most likely crash.

The lag on your phone is not from not having enough virtual memory. It is from Motorola Blur which is why a lot of people on this forum root their phones and use custom ROMs. If you don't want to do that, then try a different home screen launcher.

Agreed

Sent from my DROIDX in Western Illinois

JWA419

Reaction score
I saw a patriot class 10 32gb online but read some articles that said they freeze the phones up. Any input?

For what its worth I recently tried to install a patriot class 10 32gb micro sd chip and my phone did indeed lock up. I tried 3 times to install the card. I several different steps to get my data (mostly music) to the new card and it worked for a time but my phone eventually locked up.

azaraith

Reaction score
I had the exact same issue. I can't use the card without it freezing up to the point where a battery pull is necessary to use the phone again. I even missed calls because of it (didn't realize it was frozen until it was ringing and I couldn't do anything :p) DO NOT BUY THIS CARD! I'm currently waiting for a response from Patriot, but I will probably be returning the card to where I purchased it ASAP.

sgullak

Reaction score
I tried it and it didn't work. It worked the first time I put it in, but after copying over more than 16gb of data the phone would not recognize the card and kept freezing. Have read that others had problems with the SanDisk 32gb card aswell so I think it's a problem with the phone.