1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Clarification on Nandroid backups please???

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by boone82, Sep 23, 2010.

1. boone82

boone82 New Member

Okay, so I'm not rooted yet and I think I would like to do it this evening... I think! I've been reading NUMEROUS posts on the how-to and what is involved and whatnot and I guess I just need someone to ease my mind here so let me see if I've got this right... If I download the update.zip file and then flash and install SPRecovery, then I am rooted... correct? Then I create a Nandroid backup. Does that allow me to get my phone back to where it is right now; only rooted? I guess I'm just concerned that if I do this and don't like it or do something wrong, my only option will be to go back to the way the phone was when I took it out of the box and I don't want that. I want to make sure I can still have my contacts, apps, settings, etc. as they are now if I'm not happy with something. Does this make sense??
    Thanks in advance for your help and I'm sorry for being such a noob!!
  2. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

I assume you're following this?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

K well after you flash sprecovery, you will NOT be rooted yet until you install the update.zip file. After you flash sprecovery, you can make a nandroid backup and call it something like 'stock_unrooted' or something like that. That way, if you wanted to revert back to unrooted, you could (only you will still have the custom sprecovery, not the stock recovery).

Apply the update.zip shouldn't change any settings or apps on your phone, it just adds the files to acquire root. After you apply the update.zip to root, you can make a backup called something like 'stock_froyo_rooted'. This will allow you to go back to how your phone is now, only rooted, should you choose to restore it.

Hopefully others will chime in as well and help you out. I hope what i said makes sense lol.
  3. boone82

boone82 New Member

Thanks drpaul... makes perfect sense! This was all I was looking for and I couldn't find it in plain enough english to know for sure. Thank you so much!!