Circle/Button on back of TB?

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I've been wondering about this too..

The noise cancelling microphone is on the top of the phone because it's aimed for the ambient noises, it wouldn't be on the bottom.
Maybe the case makers were just as clueless and decided to play it safe

To my knowlege there are two noice cancelling microphones. But I'm going to do a little bit of fishing on the internet to see what I can find out.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I've been wondering about this too..

The noise cancelling microphone is on the top of the phone because it's aimed for the ambient noises, it wouldn't be on the bottom.
Maybe the case makers were just as clueless and decided to play it safe

To my knowlege there are two noice cancelling microphones. But I'm going to do a little bit of fishing on the internet to see what I can find out.

Ok guys, got the official answer and I will be the first to admit that I was completely wrong out its purpose. Here is what a HTC rep had to say about it.............

Dear Larry,
I understand you would like to know what the gray circle is on the back of the Thunderbolt. If you are referring to a piece that is rubber like, this is a cover for a screw that is holding the back speaker under the kickstand into place.
To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number 11USCW17ENA000078.

Sincerely,

Lisa
HTC
Want to see what others are saying? Have a question to ask other HTC fans?

eppey1

Reaction score
Ok guys, got the official answer and I will be the first to admit that I was completely wrong out its purpose. Here is what a HTC rep had to say about it.............

Dear Larry,
I understand you would like to know what the gray circle is on the back of the Thunderbolt. If you are referring to a piece that is rubber like, this is a cover for a screw that is holding the back speaker under the kickstand into place.
To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number 11USCW17ENA000078.

Sincerely,

Lisa
HTC

Thanks for finally figuring this one out. You saved me a sliced up rubber piece, as I was about to tear out the circle out of curiosity since nobody here knew the answer.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Mitch has already posted an answer a while back but nobody listened. If you've ever taken electrical devices apart in the past you'd know.

Sent from Tapatalk on Thunderbolt

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
Mitch has already posted an answer a while back but nobody listened. If you've ever taken electrical devices apart in the past you'd know.

Sent from Tapatalk on Thunderbolt

I'm guessing it's a plug that covers a screw?

Obviously I haven't taken electrical devices like this apart before and secondly, "I'm guessing" doesn't exactly inspire confidence in anyone who has already formulated their own opinion.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

slinky

Reaction score
Considering how many things were misplaced, here's my guess:

Someone thought there would be a screw and there wasn't. They put a plug there. Nobody noticed it (like the USB port on the wrong side, the missing memory, etc.) and so they left a useless plug there accidentally.

judg724

Reaction score
Antenna Port

This is definitely an antenna port, watch the video at about 2:50. You can clearly see a standard antenna port, the same as on my old 2004 Nokia. It's right in the center at the bottom. HTC has this on many of their phones, if not maybe all. The new Trophy has it too, and I popped off the rubber cover at the Verizon store. Yup, it's an antenna port! It's just a guess, but this one made for the HTC Imagio will probably fit, it looks like the connector is the same. WA-1043 - HTC Imagio Cell Phone Antenna Adapter Cable

kevins686

Reaction score
Anyone figure out what this is on the back of the TB? I just noticed that the HTC OEM cases do not have a cut out around this, like all the other cheap ones on ebay do.

OEM HTC TPU CASE HTC VERIZON THUNDERBOLT 4G SMOKE BLACK - eBay (item 130497456372 end time Apr-13-11 13:59:55 PDT)

It's the static pressure port, which the phone uses to sense ambient air pressure. The hole in the top of the phone senses ram air pressure. Together, these provide important data to the phone, such as altitude, air speed, and rate of climb.

MadScientist

Reaction score
Anyone figure out what this is on the back of the TB? I just noticed that the HTC OEM cases do not have a cut out around this, like all the other cheap ones on ebay do.

OEM HTC TPU CASE HTC VERIZON THUNDERBOLT 4G SMOKE BLACK - eBay (item 130497456372 end time Apr-13-11 13:59:55 PDT)

It's the static pressure port, which the phone uses to sense ambient air pressure. The hole in the top of the phone senses ram air pressure. Together, these provide important data to the phone, such as altitude, air speed, and rate of climb.

If that's the case we need an adapter for AOA vane and we'll be good to go.

Sent from my Thunderbolt