Chromecast Gains More Content With MTV, TED, Pac-12 and Qello Support

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

That $25 content streamer known as the Chromecast seems to become more and more valuable everyday. Content providers are steadily adding support for the streaming device all the time. For what it is I really do have to say that I the Chromecast works very well. I have mostly used it to rent movies from the Play Store which has been incredibly convenient.

Some very interesting new content is now available for the Chromecast. TED, MTV, Pac-12, and Qello Concerts have all added support to their apps. With the MTV app you will be able to stream shows like Catfish and Finding Carter to your TV. Pac-12 brings sports including football, soccer, gymnastics, basketball, and more! I am probably most excited that the TED app has integrated streaming support. With the TED app you will be able to stream the top 20 most watched TED talks, as well as other recent topics. With these additions you should be able to find hours worth of content! This is getting closer and closer to a cord cutting kind of device.

via GoogleChromeBlog

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's a small thing, but one of my favorite little features of the Chromecast is that it changes the input on its own. I run my cable box through my xbox one, so I only ever have to switch inputs to use the Chromecast. When I tap the button to cast something to the screen, the TV changes. I don't know if this is my TV having the proper support for such a thing or the Chromecast just being a bit of magic, but it's nice to do it all from my phone when I decide that there's something I want to see on the big screen.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
When I tap the button to cast something to the screen, the TV changes.
That's called HDMI-CEC and it's a fantastic feature...so long as the Chromecast isn't turning your TV on randomly by itself (which it's done for me a few times). I've got my Chromecast plugged into the wall, so since it has its own external power, I can use CEC to turn the TV on when my phone connects to it.

I recently discovered TED Talks thanks to Netflix and my own curiosity. I will definitely have to check out their app to see what other sorts of topics they cover that I've missed out. TED Talks are amazing, with one short little video I feel smarter and more up to speed with things going on in the world.

Much appreciated with the heads up DMX. Just don't lose your mind, up in here, up in here.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ah! I'll admit, my knowledge in the TV tech world is lacking. I plugged my Chromecast's USB cord into the back of my TV, so it's only powered when the TV is on. (I turn my TV and Soundbar/Wireless Subwoofer on by shouting "Xbox ON!")