Chrome to Phone...anyone delete it?

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I dont use it. Want to get rid of it, but wonder if it is associated with any OS processes that could cause probs elsewhere.

I know the cloud to device process is running when I started chrome to phone. I did download the google chrome browser and tried it out. It works great, but...I just dont see myself ever using it much. Id rather clear up the memory.

Has anyone else deleted this? Did it cause any system process problems or force closes elswhere? I know in root explorer it is a system app.

I guess I could rename it first...if no probs...then delete it?

OP
yakitori

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
changed name to .bak no issues...

I decided to just keep it though. Even though I will not ever use it much. I will just reconnect when I do need it so it isnt running all the time.

madroid1

Reaction score
I dont use it. Want to get rid of it, but wonder if it is associated with any OS processes that could cause probs elsewhere.

I know the cloud to device process is running when I started chrome to phone. I did download the google chrome browser and tried it out. It works great, but...I just dont see myself ever using it much. Id rather clear up the memory.

Has anyone else deleted this? Did it cause any system process problems or force closes elswhere? I know in root explorer it is a system app.

I guess I could rename it first...if no probs...then delete it?

I have deleted mine with no issues, but I ended up finding good uses for it so I reinstalled it. Yes, I don't use it all the time but it is handy for downloads. Ex: Find a download you want on your PC(easier tor read..lol) then send it to phone for the actual download. No more mounting and unmounting my sd card. all is wireless and faster.

OP
yakitori

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
so basically I could send over a zip file for a ROM, and it will put it on my SD card w/o having to mount USB?

If that is the case, Im not so sure I trust a wireless method of moving a ROM file over to my phone...I would hate for there to be some issue with formatting that I did not see since I didnt connect my phone. Then the files would not copy over right....and could cause a prob installing a rom.

I would use it for other things someday...like sending a map to my phone for directions. Or pictures..etc. but not much else.

thanks for the response.

Droidfish

Reaction score
You can delete it if you don't use it, it's a stand alone app that works in conjunction with a chrome extension/firefox add-on from your pc browser. It has access to your phones browser and maps but it won't affect them if it's gone.

madroid1

Reaction score
no so much a ROM, I use Rom manager for that. but more along the lines of .apk files. I find something I want on my PC and instead of downloading it to my pc and moving it via usb to my phone I send the web page to my phone and download directly to my sd card. then use astro to install if it is an app.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Chrome to Phone is a valuable tool, while you are web browsing on your P.C. and have to go real quick just send the link to your phone and pick up where you left off while on the train to work

OP
yakitori

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
yes...I guess I just need an excuse to use it. Just doesnt fit in my daily usage...

I will try the apk transfer though. Never thought of that. Also could do game ROM files for nesoid or other game emulators.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yak, I don't think it does file transfers, it only forwards links

There are however apps like "dropbox" where on the P.C. you place an .apk in it and then retrieve it via dropbox on your device :)

OP
yakitori

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yak, I don't think it does file transfers, it only forwards links

There are however apps like "dropbox" where on the P.C. you place an .apk in it and then retrieve it via dropbox on your device :)

Ahh..ok...my girl downloaded that but I dont think she knows the "value" of it. Does drop box work phone to phone?

I was wondering if this is possible. Can someone verify? If I go to root explorer and have an apk on my SD card...go into /sdcard and long press the .apk file...go to send. Send via Gmail. Send the .apk via email...what happens when someone recieves the email...and downloads the .apk? Will it install to the /system/apps folder? Or can the user chose to install it to /sdcard/ whatever folder? I will try that this evening on my girls phone.

Last edited:
OP
yakitori

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i was going to, but I already have installed all the apk files from my sd card on my phone...so it would be a duplicate.

I sent the cachemate trial version to my girls phone via gmail, and after you download the attachment, it goes directly into installation of the app.

Funny thing is...I cant find in root explorer the path that it saves the file as. I noticed in her downloads folder on the SD card though there is 4 apk files name download 1 thru dounload 4 .apk. Is that the resulting path?

If so....that is going to clutter up her downloads folder on the SD card.

I wonder what deleting it would do.

Brb...gonna change the names on them to .bak and see what happens. lol

EDIT: Not sure what those .apks were doing in her downloads folder of the SD card....I deleted them though, with no issues. Weird.

Last edited: