Chrome ruining battery after Lollipop update

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
I did another FDR yesterday morning, and like my last FDR Chrome behaved well for a day but now it's exactly as before :mad:

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
I've installed Chrome Beta. Let's see if it changes anything...

N

Neoart01

You mentioned you closed the Tab - for Chrome,
But did you go to task manager & actually kill Chrome App?
From running in background.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
If I close all tabs it stops Chrome from eating battery in the background. No need to force close it. But it annoys me that I can never leave a tab open...

fake edit: Chrome beta is just as bad, I'm losing 0.5%-1% battery a minute and my phone has already heated up nicely. I see on the XDA forums that both Chrome and Chrome Beta can have a similar issue like this. I'm going to try using CM Browser for now. But I will miss Chrome sync with my laptop and site passwords :'(

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
The same thing has started to happen in CM Browser, including phone getting very hot... except the battery monitoring app doesn't really show CM Browser as the culprit, as you can see in my screenshot. Totally disenchanted with Lollipop right now. Also check out that most recent drop in my screenshot of the graph LOL. That's just browsing text sites online and a bit of texting in between. Awesome.

edit: if you were to add up the battery use % from all my apps we're at about 250% hahahaha

Screenshot_2015-05-13-17-42-40.png

Screenshot_2015-05-13-17-42-52.png

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
I would say you charge your device allot!! Let the phone die and try to turn it on again. Mine did this for awhile also, but yea. I am positive your calibration is out of wack! Complete two full discharge and charge cycles. Also. Close all your tasks inside the switcher, then reopen and close any open tasks, repeat till nothing shows up! And only charge once you hit 20% if you must!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree. You're on and off the charger all day. Also, it doesn't look like you have the best data signal either. (Not sure if that's due to being on WiFi a lot as I rarely use WiFi)

S5 tap'n

OP
Satchel_Charge
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
I never gave you all an update - battery issues are gone, phone goes to sleep properly about 95% of the time (it still pisses me off when it doesn't but, ok, that's how it was on this phone with KitKat too), and I'm able to use Chrome again.

I can explain the (relatively) improved sleep behavior - I uninstalled the Weather Underground app. It was never reported on the battery screen but that was the culprit. Sadly.

How did I get Chrome to work? I literally uninstalled and reinstalled it 4-5 times in a row. Have no clue what else the say. The last time I reinstalled (weeks ago) it started to work normally so here I am. I know there have been a few updates to Chrome, but that wasn't what fixed it. My little installation frenzy occurred over a span of 2 days and there had been no updates when that last install finally started working.

Last edited: