chrome cast

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmm, one potential hangup in my situation...

We're apple'd out at home. My wife has an iPhone and iPad and we mostly use Apple TV. Even if Chromecast gets more support and compatibility (i.e. can replace the benefits of Airplay), it would appear she has no way of controlling it...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It looks like if your TV supports HDMI 1.4, you don't need to use the power/usb adapter.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It looks like if your TV supports HDMI 1.4, you don't need to use the power/usb adapter.
I had to Google to see if mine supports it, and I'm not sure if the sources are reliable or not.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Picked one up tonight right as Best Buy was closing. Best Buy is still giving the codes for the 3 months free (though I haven't tried to apply it yet). I also had a $5 best buy rewards certificate, so as long as the Netflix code works, this thing will essentially cost me $8 after tax.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Picked one up tonight right as Best Buy was closing. Best Buy is still giving the codes for the 3 months free (though I haven't tried to apply it yet). I also had a $5 best buy rewards certificate, so as long as the Netflix code works, this thing will essentially cost me $8 after tax.
Let us know how you like it and how it fits into your home ecosystem since you're Apple'd out.

If you don't mind some personal testing, check out different video file formats for me?:p

OP
xtor

xtor

Reaction score
I just relized this works through your home wifi, I don't have home Internet except my cell, so how about a device that mirrors your phone to tv through blue tooth, without having to use wires or wifi?

sent from a note yee (2)

Last edited:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I won't get to mess with it until tonight I'm afraid Dez! Though I'll tell you now that I'll have to force it into our system a bit... Airplay with Apple TV is just too nice and my wife is too used to it. Once more app makers start taking advantage of the Gcast API, it'll be great since it doesn't hog your device... but until then it'll get limited use in our house I'm sure!

Also just saw that Best Buy and Walmart have some locations that are selling the new Nexus 7 already... what's a tech addict to do! ;)

Jxpinc

Reaction score
Apparently Google has killed the three month free Netflix offering.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I won't get to mess with it until tonight I'm afraid Dez! Though I'll tell you now that I'll have to force it into our system a bit... Airplay with Apple TV is just too nice and my wife is too used to it. Once more app makers start taking advantage of the Gcast API, it'll be great since it doesn't hog your device... but until then it'll get limited use in our house I'm sure!

Also just saw that Best Buy and Walmart have some locations that are selling the new Nexus 7 already... what's a tech addict to do! ;)
I'm gonna hold off buying one for now, besides they're probably all sold out around here since I live in Google's backyard:D

I'll wait for support to increase and see if there are any workarounds by the dev community for all video formats. If that ever happens, then I'll be getting one ASAP