Chose to Backup Settings...Now Can't Stop It (Using FROYO 2.2)

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by relentive, Jun 8, 2010.

1. relentive

relentive New Member

Okay, so here's the issue:

I installed FROYO this morning and figured I would try out the option of backing up my settings to my account, which will automatically download and reinstall my applications I previously installed from the Market. This feature is the dumbest thing I've seen so far. I've redone my phone again with FROYO. Chose not to backup my settings. I also made sure that I went under "Privacy Settings" and unchecked both "Back up my settings" and "Automatic restore". However, when I erase everything completely and overwrite that ROM again, whenever I get the new ROM installed and still choose not to backup my settings, it decides that it will anyways. How do I stop this annoying feature? If it can't be stopped I'm assuming I'll have to change my Gmail account, which will make it pointless for me to use a Droid. :icon_evil:

Please help. I now have my Droid in an unusable state as it just constantly downloads my previous apps. Meanwhile, I'll be using my Palm Pre. Thanks.
  2. kenbarnum

kenbarnum New Member

sorry...I think that is what a thing they think everybody likes about android. It will download all the paid apps (at least) that are associated with your gmail account.

You can, however uninstall them when they finish.
    I have Open Home Full (paid for and uninstalled) and it just shows as purchased every time I wipe...It does not try to download it.
  3. relentive

relentive New Member

No Way To Stop It

There's no way to stop it from automatically downloading them though? I don't mind if it remembers what I download, just so long as it doesn't automatically download them. Very annoying and makes no sense that there wouldn't be a feature to disable this. I don't want over 500 apps downloading every time I redo my phone.
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I don't know why that happened to you but it didn't do that to me. It only downloaded the apps I was using at the time of the upgrade.
  5. relentive

relentive New Member

Solved...

Okay. Finally found a solution. Just wanted to post it so that other frustrated users will know what to do.

When you redo you phone. Skip the section at the beginning that asks you to sign into your Google Account. Don't sign in immediately after installing your new ROM. Instead, sign in later under "Settings". This will sync your contacts, calendar, gmail, but will not automatically initiate the download of your previously downloaded applications. I've tried it a couple times now to make sure it does work, and I can verify it does. Hope this helps someone out there. Thanks. dancedroid
  6. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

*Scratches head*

I get pissed when it DOESNT auto-download. You know how big a pain in the ass it is to reinstall every app each time?
  7. MNTNBKR

MNTNBKR Member

EXACTLY!! It's been a long time since I've wiped and installed a ROM, so when I installed Froyo and all of my apps automatically downloaded I was ecstatic!
  8. drgonzo

drgonzo New Member

For what it is worth, I too had the same issue where I fought and fought for it to NOT download my old apps.

To address those asking why you WOULDN'T want it to, I offer my scenario. In the past I have had some stability issues running various ROMs on this phone, rooted obviously but not OC'd. I could almost invariably chalk it up to individiual application issues not playing nice with the new OS. In moving to FROYO I wanted to reload my apps one at a time, with some time in between to see if I ran into any stability issues or compatibility issues.

Just my two cents. I finally gave up and allowed it to reload and so far its been fairly stable...
Search tags for this page

backup froyo 2.2

froyo backup settings

how to prevent backup my android application

how to stop auto backup android

stop android 4.1.1 auto backup

stop backup on android

stop google account automatic backup