Choosing a New Android Phone

jimbo831

Reaction score
I am currently a T-Mobile customer but am considering switching to Verizon in about a month. I absolutely LOVE my Nexus One, but obviously will have to change if I switch. I am having a hard time deciding which Verizon phone I should get. Obviously the Incredible is a consideration because I'd love to continue using CM, but I worry it is already outdated when compared to Droid 2, Droid X, and Samsung Fascinate. Does anyone have any experience with these to compare if the Incredible is a bit behind? I really like the Droid X and all it's capabilities but am completely turned off by the locked down bootloader so this and the Droid 2 are unlikely choices for me for that reason as a custom ROM is very unlikely to ever arrive.

I see the Fascinate will be supported by CM at some point, but that it also may be a while. For me, it comes down to deciding if I want to use a stock Fascinate until CM is available or buy the incredible that will run CM right away. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each of these devices for those who have used them? Anyone with experience with both have any advice on how I should proceed? Any thoughts that may help me decide on any Verizon Android phones are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: In researching, some people are saying that the Droid X with root is more than fine for them. What do people here think? Is root alone fine without the ability to install a custom vanilla ROM like CM?

ffej89

Reaction score
I have/like the Evo even if its not in you list. One click root, put a vanilla rom, overclock and your good to go. JMO

xliderider

Reaction score
Sounds like they are getting close to unlocking the bootloader on the X.

I have the Fascinate right now, I'm posting from it. It is a very nice device. It has some software issues now, but most should be ironed out with software updates. The Fascinate has an almost perfect blend of form factor, in screen size, weight, and need I mention the gorgeous S-AMOLED screen?

If you will use the device in areas with decent signal, the Fascinate will be an excellent device.

I will reluctantly return it and order an X though, because I work and live in low signal areas and need the better reception the X will give me.

OP
J

jimbo831

Reaction score
I have/like the Evo even if its not in you list. One click root, put a vanilla rom, overclock and your good to go. JMO

Isn't this a Sprint phone only at the moment? I have seen rumors of an HTC Evo like device for Verizon, but couldn't find any confirmed specs or any ideas of a release date.

I have the Fascinate right now, I'm posting from it. It is a very nice device. It has some software issues now, but most should be ironed out with software updates. The Fascinate has an almost perfect blend of form factor, in screen size, weight, and need I mention the gorgeous S-AMOLED screen?

If you will use the device in areas with decent signal, the Fascinate will be an excellent device.

I will reluctantly return it and order an X though, because I work and live in low signal areas and need the better reception the X will give me.

This is a little worrisome to me as I don't know what my signal situation will be like since I will be new to Verizon. I hadn't read anywhere about any signal issues with the Fascinate. To your knowledge, is this due to lower than average signal on the Fascinate or just superb signal on the Droid X?

As far as any software issues, I'm assuming that Cyanogenmod will eventually be available for the Fascinate and cure all those problems, but I'm hoping it's not too frustrating in the mean time.

ffej89

Reaction score
Jimbo, yea its Sprint but i had to through it out there since its such a great phone

Bateluer

Reaction score

I've been following birdman on Twitter for a while though, haven't heard anything about the bootloader being broken. Its been partially circumvented with Koush's recovery, but its still very much intact.

To the OP, you may want to take a look at the T Mobile G2, its got decent specs and will be launching soon.

OP
J

jimbo831

Reaction score
I've been following birdman on Twitter for a while though, haven't heard anything about the bootloader being broken. Its been partially circumvented with Koush's recovery, but its still very much intact.

To the OP, you may want to take a look at the T Mobile G2, its got decent specs and will be launching soon.

The G2 looks outstanding, but if I was going to stay with T-Mobile, I would just keep my Nexus One. I absolutely love that phone. The only reason I am looking for a new one is because I may be switching to Verizon so I need a Verizon phone if I do.