Chomp > Handcent

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't put much faith into "chomp" is better without telling me why.

I like Handcent - no complaints at all it works perfectly. So tell me why chomp is better? Does it shoot gold bricks out my ass?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
no gold bricks, just something different..

imo, if you aren't using handcent you are doing it wrong. ;)

pilot25

Reaction score
Handcent just had an update but the reviews say it just put ads into it. Not a fan of ads. I'd rather pay for a good app like Handcent

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Handcent just had an update but the reviews say it just put ads into it. Not a fan of ads. I'd rather pay for a good app like Handcent

There are ADs, but I've only seen them in the settings screen.

However, I just downloaded Chomp and it is faster than Handcent so far. The only thing I really don't like is the bubble conversation setting. I wish I could make it a list style, but we'll see.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't put much faith into "chomp" is better without telling me why.
Bingo. Better doesn't mean a thing unless it's qualified. Part of the problem is that people assume that if they like it then it's universally the best option out there. The other part of the problem is that many apparently don't understand that you can't have the best of everything in a single product. Every product has to make design compromises whether the compromise is in cost, time to develop/produce/manufacture, reliability, performance or any of many other various possible factors to consider.

In short, the OP was a troll but it's good to see people actually responding with some comparisons of the 2 apps.

liquidzoo

Reaction score
I've only ever used handcent (I think I downloaded it on the way out of the verizon store, actually), but I love the fact that we have a choice. I think that Google did the right thing there.

I downloaded Chomp a while ago but I wasn't a fan. Granted, I didn't give it much of a chance; and perhaps I would like it more if I really got to playing with it and customized it the way I wanted.

I will say, though, that if Chomp doesn't eat (see what I did there?) random text messages like handcent has done for me (albeit rarely, it has happened; most recently on a message from my mother concerning my pregnant wife) then that fact alone might be enough to make me switch. I will give it an honest try and see which one I truely like better.

Detonation

Reaction score
Last time I tried Chomp I was turned away but the awful pixelated edges on the speech bubbles. Now it looks like thats been fixed and the app looks much nicer. Gonna try it temporarily, it looks like the autoread/quick reply pop up is better than handscent's, which is my most important feature.

qoncept

Reaction score
I dont know how so many people can stand chat bubbles. It's such a huge waste of screen space.

qoncept

Reaction score
Doesnt look like it. And with the only alternative to chat bubbles being the stock messaging app look, I don't see the point of using it either.

griz8791

Reaction score

Below is what Handcent's web page says is in yesterday's update. Looks like they are claiming it is more than just ads, and I've read elsewhere that the ads are only in the options screen which isn't something you have to look at every day:

Handcent sms Version 2.9.31
17 Feb 2010

• Improve memory usage & less force close
  • New contact load framework & Complete support facebook contacts (include the contact only sync from facebook) at Andorid 2.x COOL!

• New split160 plus version & support individual split160 COOL!
    Split 160 Plus version include many new options,for example: split by word (so the message will split smartly) and add index counter (so the ppl known the sequence of split messages exactly)

Current version support individual split160 now
  • You can choose add "Fwd" when forward SMS
    When forward SMS,you can choose add "Fwd" at the front of message.

• Fix background issue when rotate phone

• New option for reset message counter at special day in one month COOL!
    useful for want to control how many texts that you want to send

• Fix the message being deleted sometime
  • Fix a bug when send group sms
  • New option for display message counter at threads list

Laramie

Reaction score
Please enlighten me if I'm having a slow day, but I prefer handcent because when I get a text, the popup comes on, screen comes on and the virtual keyboard is DISPLAYED so I can just start typing a reply even if my Droid was locked.

I can NOT seem to replicate this with Chomp. Idears???

liquidzoo

Reaction score
I've only ever used handcent (I think I downloaded it on the way out of the verizon store, actually), but I love the fact that we have a choice. I think that Google did the right thing there.

I downloaded Chomp a while ago but I wasn't a fan. Granted, I didn't give it much of a chance; and perhaps I would like it more if I really got to playing with it and customized it the way I wanted.

I will say, though, that if Chomp doesn't eat (see what I did there?) random text messages like handcent has done for me (albeit rarely, it has happened; most recently on a message from my mother concerning my pregnant wife) then that fact alone might be enough to make me switch. I will give it an honest try and see which one I truely like better.

Honest opinion after using Chomp for ~2 hours straight:

Decent. Wish it had more conversation styles, but I use the bubbles in Handcent too, so I like them.

Notification vibrations - Prefer the 2 short vibes from Handcent to the one long one in Chomp SMS, And the other options I saw there weren't any better.

Customization - Handcent has a slight edge (in my mind) with the ability to customize to 4 different styles. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of tweaking options available with Chomp, and I like the simpler style of changing colors that chomp has.

Deal breaker (for me) - Chomp SMS is not able to set different LED colors for different contacts like Handcent is. That's a deal breaker. I like to glance at my phone and know if the vibration I just got was a generic text or my wife.

Just my opinions. If Handcent really did get their random message deletion issue fixed (claimed to have done so in the latest update notes) then it wins for me. Chomp SMS is close, but not there yet.