China's Anti-Monopoly Bureau Approves Google's Acquisition of Motorola Mobility

Edognights

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
googlemotorola.jpg

It looks like Google has everything they need to move forward with their recent acquisition of Motorola Mobility. After months of investigation, China's anti-monopoly bureau has given Google's purchase their blessing, although not without a stipulation. For the next five years Google must agree to keep their android operating system free to anyone that wants to use it. The stipulation was added so that the Android OS could not be closed off and made only available on Motorola devices. With this approval the company can now complete it's purchase and the deal is expected to close next week. It will be interesting to see where Google takes Motorola in the coming months so check back and we will keep you updated.

Source: The Verge

RyanPm40

Reaction score
I still don't get why they want Motorola so bad. IMO they make the worst android phones out there. Samsung and HTC really know what's up.

djembeman

Reaction score
I still don't get why they want Motorola so bad. IMO they make the worst android phones out there. Samsung and HTC really know what's up.

And that my friend, is completely and totally just your opinion. I have always had an open mind when trying new devices and every HTC and Samsung phone I have tried was complete and total garbage.

It's not even build quality that I'm talking about, the UI skins and how laggy the phones run is what I'm talking about. Radio quality and build quality are a great bonus when talking about Motorola. The new "MotoBlur" is done quite nicely and is unobtrusive. I'd assume anyone that bought a motorola device during the time after the Original Droid and before the Bionic would have a bad taste in their mouth for MotoBlur. It's great on the Bionic and the RAZR phones.

d4dEf@c@

Reaction score
It's never been about acquiring a hardware manufacturer, but about intellectual property rights. Mobility holds over 25000 patents involving Android development. Google actually held less than 5000 prior, making them a legal target for competitors including Apple and Microsoft.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
djembeman said:
And that my friend, is completely and totally just your opinion. I have always had an open mind when trying new devices and every HTC and Samsung phone I have tried was complete and total garbage.

It's not even build quality that I'm talking about, the UI skins and how laggy the phones run is what I'm talking about. Radio quality and build quality are a great bonus when talking about Motorola. The new "MotoBlur" is done quite nicely and is unobtrusive. I'd assume anyone that bought a motorola device during the time after the Original Droid and before the Bionic would have a bad taste in their mouth for MotoBlur. It's great on the Bionic and the RAZR phones.

Agree.

Put it like this....for my wants n needs... I may just stick with Motorola for the foreseeable future. I tried HTC and Samsung recently....the g nex and Rezound. And neither met my wants n needs as good as my RAZR.

Also agree about the patents. Motorola developed their own lte chip. That alone says moto has some decent patents.

Last edited:

npro1464

Reaction score
TouchWiz and Sense aren't laggy anymore. If you don't believe me just YouTube a review of the One X or the Galaxy S3.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^I agree with that too. All 3 UI's have gotten better. Wild because sense ui was always the best, smoothest. It's gotten worse since the Incredible.

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Its about the patents not the hardware. Although...I little Google culture at Mobility is likely to go a long way towards improvements.

I may just go back Motorola someday.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'm a big fan of manufacturers UI's. Getting a chance to use all of them gave me an appreciation for what they all have to offer. The vast improvements over the past couple of years has turned my opinion around.

Its not like it used to be. They are smooth and feature rich. Stock Android has some catching up to do if I'm ever to go that route again.

djb.617

Reaction score
maybe this means motorola boot loaders will finally be unlocked :) i'm keepin my fingers crossed

RyanPm40

Reaction score
HTC phones haven't had much lag since the original droid incredible :shrug: but I guess it is all a matter of opinion! It is true that I have most of my experience and opinions about Motorola due to the Droids 1 and 2, which were so unbelievably slow. But, I am quite surprised to hear someone say that Samsung phones are laggy. What?

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Like some other's I have to agree. I had a Moto backflip prior to my D2G, and while it was a small under powered device, once CM6 came around, it made it in to a descent little device so long as you weren't expecting to do hardcore gaming or the like. While my original D2G and original Backflip both required returns due to defects, I have to say my second device of each model has held up quite well. I wont hesitate to go with Moto for a D4(or similar) when my upgrade comes. Now I have not tried Samsung or HTC phones, but I do agree, they seem to be doing good things as well. If they have a good phone that offers a physically tangible qwerty keyboard, I may give them consideration.

3rdpig

Reaction score

It's my opinion they make the best Android phones.

But to answer your question, they want Moto's patent portfolio in order to defend Android from lawsuits. And I think they're tired of Samsung's crap. God knows I got sick of them.