chet444<-----new

Chet444

Reaction score
I have had my motorola droid for about 14 months now.

Model number:
Droid

Android Version:

I am moving soon and will not have cable or dsl access. I want to tether my droid. I will be having a roommate who does not have a laptop and would like to provide access for him also if possible but it might be easier to get connected first and add him later. Any advice will be very helpful and much appreciated. My carrier is Verizon and I do have the unlimited data plan. I have a zillion questions but my primary goal is to have internet access on my computer when I move without paying an arm and a leg.

dancedroidchet

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
welcome to the forum! here's a list from one of the threads. just an fyi....tethering can drain battery life if ur rooted should be no problem. if not u can still use a pda app from the market but need a usb to connect:

Wifitethering is an app in the android market that was created by Harald Hue, ulfalda, bbuxton, and andrew robinson. It allows you to use the internet on your phone through your computer through AD-HOC mode. Known issues from wifi tethering is that your phone heats up from use. Wifi tethering app can be downloaded from the android market or through code.google.com In order to use the app users must be rooted. And rooting does void your warranty.
Will verizon, (other carrier) charge me for using the app? Because verizon offers mobile broadband service using any form of tethering out side of the specified plans is against your contract agreement. As a result verizon (or other carrier) has all rights to void your contract and charge you for the data used from unauthorized tethering.

Are there other tethering apps? Yes, here are a list of unauthorized tethering apps/programs: wifi tethering, barnacle tethering, pdanet and easy tether. For a list of authorized tethering apps please contact or visit your carriers web site.

splash.png

What is Barnacle: Is an app similar to wifi tethering in that it turns your device into a wireless modem. Like wifi tethering app it uses ad-hoc mode and requires root. For more info visit the dev website: szym.net: Barnacle Wifi Tether

android160.jpg

Pdanet: This app allows users to use their phone as a modem. This requires that your phone be hooked into the device (ie computer laptop) and that the required software from the developer is installed. The developer has a free and a paid version. The paid version is required to go to secured sites. For more info see the dev site: PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android

Easytether: Like Pdanet, easytether requires that your phone be hooked up to your computer. It also requires that you install the required software to the computer that you want to tether with. You can find easytether on the android market

3g Mobile hotspot: This is an app provided by verizon to allow authorized wifi tethering. Plans and details can be found by visiting verizon's website or contacting a customer service rep. http://community.vzw.com/t5/Voice-an...ns/td-p/288316

Droid Forums (or its sister sites) do not condone unauthorized tethering. It is highly recommend that users visit their local carriers website to set up authorized means of tethering. Users should know that the carrier have all rights to suspend services and charge for unauthorized use of broadband services. This thread is so that people will have the answers they need about the different tethering apps out there, but recommend that the users follow the contract agreement with their carrier and seek only authorized tethering apps/programs.[/QUOTE]

Survived another tsunami...Aloha from Hawaii!!