Cheetah Mobile Buys Quickpic

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
quickpic-by-cheetah.png

If you, like me, have been using quickpic for a long time you'll want to take note of this story. If you like lots of spam and bloat in your apps don't bother opening the link because QP is going to fill that desire .

I was, thankfully, informed of the buy when I was touting a new feature of the app this morning , not knowing I was inadvertently helping a company whose practices I loathe so I deleted the thread to save others from getting onboard with a promising app that will soon be nothing more than a bloatware infested useless app if the follow the same business model they did with Clean Master.

Though most prefer a freebie, especially one that works as great as QP has done for years, if we have a choice of bloat or pay a couple of bucks to help a developer stay afloat and not be infested with junk most will choose the latter. Unfortunately it seems Cheetah Mobile doesn't see that reality.

Anybody know of another choice for a great non stock gallery app?

Source: Popular Photo Gallery App QuickPic Has Been Bought By Cheetah Mobile, And Users Are Pissed

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Cheetah Mobile. Dang! I was close. What'd I call it? Mobile Cheetah? Of course he's mobile. He's got legs and runs up to 70mph.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Check out Aviary, although it has been bought by Adobe, they haven't changed too much about it yet. They added a "Unlock all features for a subscription price" but those are features most of us don't need.
Love the Meme generator.

I use that and QuickPic. Not giving up on it yet.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check out Aviary, although it has been bought by Adobe, they haven't changed too much about it yet. They added a "Unlock all features for a subscription price" but those are features most of us don't need.
Love the Meme generator.

I use that and QuickPic. Not giving up on it yet.
Thanks.
The last part of the linked content sums things up for me. I haven't deleted QP yet, just like Clean Master but I also have CM locked down to only clean residual junk about twice a month and I just ignore the bloat it shows after a clean. As long as Quickpic doesn't become a regular spammer every time I use it I'll also stay with it for now but it's on a very short leash now.
Going to download your suggestion today.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks for the info mountainbikermark. I use QuickPic but I definitely don't need to. I will be keeping a close eye on it, that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info mountainbikermark. I use QuickPic but I definitely don't need to. I will be keeping a close eye on it, that's for sure.

True that. Aviary seems more geared to be a photo editor instead of gallery app so if nothing else the stock gallery isn't as hideous as they used to be when I found (thanks to Wicked years ago) QP. It'd be no biggie for now to go back to that on all my devices that range from Jellybean to Lollipop 5.0.2 Samsung and LG both have decent stock galleries now.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes they do. So much now that it does tend to be me first go to gallery app where in the past QP was.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I love Google Photos for my gallery app, but there are things that it can't do that require launching the stock gallery app again. Much more of this and I'll likely go back to the stock gallery for all things gallery and just keep Photos installed for backup purposes and if I want to go back and show someone a picture that's no longer saved locally on my device.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I deleted Quickpic a long time favorite and installed Motorola gallery and camera...

NexusSix

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love Google Photos for my gallery app, but there are things that it can't do that require launching the stock gallery app again. Much more of this and I'll likely go back to the stock gallery for all things gallery and just keep Photos installed for backup purposes and if I want to go back and show someone a picture that's no longer saved locally on my device.
Oh I forgot to mention in my request for a new gallery app.
Not tied into any service or other possibly future nefarious entity. I just want a simple tap a folder and its content expands
Thanks for tapping my tin hat with your post. I actually looked at that app before Aviary. I don't trust Google anymore than I trust our government or mega corporations.
And 1 more wish. Dark theme. I tried one called Gallery because it's Android Wear ready but it was too bright ,a battery drainer and the stock gallery only has white background also.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Just noticed a QP update. Think I'll hold off for now. Anyone take it?

Tap'n Turbo

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just noticed a QP update. Think I'll hold off for now. Anyone take it?

Tap'n Turbo
I did. That's what started this whole thing. I started a thread about how you can now get 1kGB (yup 1kGB, up to 5kGB by sharing work others) of free cloud storage with the newest update then once I found out Cheetah had bought the app I deleted the thread and started this one.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4