Check Out This Crazy New Keyboard Input Method

samiusmc

Reaction score
Is SnapKeys the future of keyboarding?

I have not been a fan of any of the 3rd party keyboards. Swype has been the most popular and it never felt natural to me. I recently saw a video about a new key-less keyboard called SnapKeys. At first it looked like another gimmick, but after seeing 5th graders blind typing with ease, I was impressed.

For the first time SnapKeys is revealing how it works, and intomobile filmed a hands-on demo at CTIA. The principle of SnapKeys is that people do not want their keyboard taking up a large percentage of the screen. This was always a complaint of mine as I have always leaned towards slide out keyboards.

They are billing it as II for imaginary interface. The interface consists of 6 transparent blocks over the content that are easily reachable with your thumbs while the device is in portrait mode.

They have been working on this technology for 11 years and it may soon be available to all. They are working with device manufacturers and carriers to preload the software. Their plans are for it to be in the core of the operating systems and not as a standalone application. We may see the first devices with SnapKeys in the 3rd quarter of this year.

Check out these videos and let me us know what you think. The first video is the intomobile hands-on demo and the second video shows the students at Lovell Elementary School.

Is SnapKeys the future of keyboarding?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i never was a fan of swype either, but this looks pretty cool.

didn't know how it works and i can't hear the guy explaining but it looks like you gotta memorize the layout?

Psj77

Reaction score
I liked 8pen, I would've learned how to type faster on it if I didn't have a sweet, physical keyboard

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Detonation

Reaction score
Still waiting on BlindType. Haven't heard much from them since they were bought be Google last October.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Im sure a retarted one armed monkey could use 8pen but damned if I could. I'm just gonna wait on the ESP input system.....I think it and it types itself.

Yup...Tapatalk'd

joshoid

Reaction score
This is going to take practice... which I don't mind. Reminds me of this spoof. [video=youtube;9BnLbv6QYcA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA]YouTube - Apple Introduces Revolutionary New Laptop With No Keyboard[/video]

Briankbl

Reaction score
Bump because this looks awesome and I'm sad it still has yet to be released :(

Sent using common sense.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
cool but for him to say there isnt a learn curve is wrong. you have to basically remember where those 'types' of letter reside in one of the 4 box. its going to take a user some time to learn that the upper right hand are for letters that touch the line twice etc. so to be able to spell the word and think well is where is 'R' is going to take some learning.