Check out these speed tests

wingdo

Reaction score
Actually it is 8 bits per byte. Otherwise you are absolutely correct. That's why all the ISPs like to advertise their speeds in Mbps instead of MBps, it looks faster. Then when you download something at only 150 KBps, u wonder what happened.

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

I wasn't sure with cellular packets if a start and stop bit were used, if they are then while 8 bits still make a byte, there is actually 10 bits transferred to make the byte. older (read less reliable) data transmissions put a start and stop bit on every byte transferred to ensure the integrity of the transmission. While seldom used with landline broadband, it is still employed with dial up and therefore I am unsure if it is used with cell traffic.

But yes, either way (8 bits per byte or 10 bits) that explains the discrepancy in his speed tests.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
My speed test right now:

21e126g.jpg

My movie downloads and uploads speed right now:
szdbva.jpg

I don't run the speed test app too much but I'm always looking at how fast my actual movie downloads and uploads are doing and I've NEVER seen a combined total over 2.2 MBPS

The "speedtest" doesn't download 8 gigabyte HD movies nor does it begin to convince me that I'm getting any useful speeds (sustainable) over 2.2 MBPS and still I'm quite happy with what I'm really getting.

I can't believe you're comparing a direct client-to-server connection test to using your phone to tether through to a laptop and then run a P2P torrent. Torrents are the least favorable thing to use when comparing connection quality.

Graymayre

Reaction score
I wasn't sure with cellular packets if a start and stop bit were used, if they are then while 8 bits still make a byte, there is actually 10 bits transferred to make the byte. older (read less reliable) data transmissions put a start and stop bit on every byte transferred to ensure the integrity of the transmission. While seldom used with landline broadband, it is still employed with dial up and therefore I am unsure if it is used with cell traffic.

But yes, either way (8 bits per byte or 10 bits) that explains the discrepancy in his speed tests.

It is old. It also caused the connection speeds to be extremely slow compared to alternative protocols using the same transmission medium. Aka, dialup vs DSL. Dialup required analog tones, which could be distorted and inefficient, so this method was required for it even on the same cables or your packets would get chopped up.

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.