"Check for update is not available"

capncurt86

Reaction score
I am still getting that same message. It isn't saying "Your device is up to date! No update is necessary at this time." It is saying "Check for update is not available" ....this is getting frustrating.

I have tried battery pull, factory reset, using wifi only, using 3G only, using LTE only, changing push settings in social networking. My phone is completely stock. It seems there is a bunch of people getting this error in other droid forums and the Motorola forums as well. Am I just the last to get the update or is something wrong with my phone?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

theefireboy

Reaction score
Are you rooted? Did you update to the leaked OTA update a while back? I did and took me off the upgrade path. If so I believe flashing back to stock is your solution.

lyrictenor1

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem.

I'm rooted, but have not installed any leaked updates, or any other updates for that matter.

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
i was getting the same message yesterday, when i got home i switched to wifi, and there it was. took about 5 mins or so to download.

OP
C

capncurt86

Reaction score
Nope my phone was never rooted. I just got it last week. I broke my first bionic and got this one from Best Buy for free.

Still having the same problem.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

twikoff

Reaction score
Im having this issue as well.. Not rooted.

on another forum, alot of people said they got past it by going to.. settings -> battery and data manager -> data delivery -> social applications
and then unchecking 'sync over wi-fi only'

but mine wasnt checked in the first place.. so didnt help me :(

stikss

Reaction score
If you're not having any problems with the phone then just stay where u are. My phone was nearly perfect and since i downloaded the update, my battery is way worse, still drops data, and now it periodically stops loading webpages. The only improvement ive seen is the camera... its a little quicker.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

bwlstuff

Reaction score
i was getting the same message yesterday, when i got home i switched to wifi, and there it was. took about 5 mins or so to download.

I had the same experience and switching to WIFI was how I got the OTA. In my case, phone is rooted. I unfroze all apps (via Titanium) prior to starting download.

twikoff

Reaction score
If you're not having any problems with the phone then just stay where u are. My phone was nearly perfect and since i downloaded the update, my battery is way worse, still drops data, and now it periodically stops loading webpages. The only improvement ive seen is the camera... its a little quicker.

until yesterday.. i never really had any problems.. but this morning, it didnt want to power up (acted like it was dead, but after hooking to a charger it came up and immediately had 100% battery)..

and all day today.. i have had issues with my data getting turned off... i end up going into airplane mode and back out to get lte back connected.

odd timing, thats for sure

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, when you check for updates, you're sending a signal to the server. If the server is unable to respond due to overload you'd get the "Unavailable" message. I got it from time to time before the OTA and I'm not rooted.

That being said, a suggestion was put forth that somehow you are unable to synch with the server and a Factory Reset should take care of it. I didn't have to do that, but it was a suggestion. See Post #27 of http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-bionic/184265-unable-check-updates-3.html

Last edited:

twikoff

Reaction score
That being said, a suggestion was put forth that somehow you are unable to synch with the server and a Factory Reset should take care of it. I didn't have to do that, but it was a suggestion. See Post #27 of http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-bionic/184265-unable-check-updates-3.html

yea, ive seen fac reset mentioned a few times.. but been trying to avoid that

if i sync backup assistant and then factory restore.. can i sign back in and restore from backup assistant to get apps and configs back?

McGyver777

Reaction score
Use your Gmail account to backup not Verizon backup...that way you can update/change/delete from Web or phone.

Verizon backup is the devil, once on, you can never cut it off without factory reset.

twikoff

Reaction score
if you use your gmail account.. doesnt that just backup books/contacts/gmail/calender?
what about syncing/backing up apps?

sorry.. not meaning to hijack this thread...
so to get it back on track..

Im still getting check for update is not available at this time..
just checked with another bionic user in this office, and he didnt have a problem upgrading this morning

jughead75

Reaction score
if you use your gmail account.. doesnt that just backup books/contacts/gmail/calender?
what about syncing/backing up apps?

sorry.. not meaning to hijack this thread...
so to get it back on track..

Im still getting check for update is not available at this time..
just checked with another bionic user in this office, and he didnt have a problem upgrading this morning

I knew that I saw this thread somewhere. I asked the same question in the General Dis. forum.

It has already been discussed here but the only way that I found to correct the trouble was a Factory Reset. I was able to download the update and now when I check I get the proper response, "Your device is up to date." Hope this helps.

Blackhawk13

Reaction score
I am also getting the "check for updates not available at this time " WTF is going on.