Check for new update!! maybe there

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I just got the update and long pressing on the Google Search bar does not remove it. Not for me anyway, sadly.
It will work. You can't long press the search bar like a regular widget. You have to long press on an open space on the home screen first, touch settings, then slide google search option to off. Back out and it's gone. It used to bug me at first that it was there, but then I learned to really like it. I would miss it now if it were not there. Funny how small changes settle in sometimes.

PowrDroid

Reaction score
I just got the update and long pressing on the Google Search bar does not remove it. Not for me anyway, sadly.

This only works on the stock Google Launcher. Try long pressing on an empty part of the home screen. A settings option should pop up.

GoogleBar.jpg

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

It will work. You can't long press the search bar like a regular widget. You have to long press on an open space on the home screen first, touch settings, then slide google search option to off. Back out and it's gone. It used to bug me at first that it was there, but then I learned to really like it. I would miss it now if it were not there. Funny how small changes settle in sometimes.

This only works on the stock Google Launcher. Try long pressing on an empty part of the home screen. A settings option should pop up.

View attachment 73805

100% correct. Long press on an open space on the desktop. You may have to move to a screen with more real estate (no icons nearby), since it sometimes thinks you're trying to pick up an icon. Settings option shown below.

86dcf6840e267c71e9f27aac57114861.jpg

Then press settings and you get;

c76d079eba49bec40b047ddb8b49adb7.jpg

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes indeedy it works, Funny.... I always wanted that bar gone and now that it is l wonder if I'll miss it. I used to use the voice function for navigation. Hit it and just say " Navigate to" worked well.

mcraeh

Reaction score
So, this update was to add functionality to allow voice and data at the same time, correct? Is there anything you have to do to enable it? I'm asking because I installed the update last night, but just now got off the phone and noticed that all the emails I had gotten while on the phone came in a couple of seconds after I hung up.

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
So, this update was to add functionality to allow voice and data at the same time, correct? Is there anything you have to do to enable it? I'm asking because I installed the update last night, but just now got off the phone and noticed that all the emails I had gotten while on the phone came in a couple of seconds after I hung up.
Nope. It works as soon as the update completes. Try making a call then check an app that uses data like Facebook. Unsure why your email did not download until after the call was complete. Could just be a coincidence or an unrelated sync issue with your email client.

mcraeh

Reaction score
Nope, it just happened again. I got five emails while on the phone, but none of them downloaded until after I hung up. This is for my corporate account which has the push setting, so they usually come in right away. I don't really care though, sometimes it goes screwy and the vibrate notifier goes off while I have the phone up to my ear. That is not pleasant ha ha, so I guess if it does this, that won't happen anymore :)

Rogus

Reaction score
Seems ridiculous to me to be able to turn off the Google search bar but then have the space sit there empty most of the time.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Interesting. I did not have to select 'activate'. If my memory serves me correctly it activated by default.

If it did activate by default, then it was by error. Since VoLTE is still having many of the kinks ironed out, Verizon currently has things set up to where you have to activate Advanced Calling on your account and on your phone in order to get it up and running.

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
If it did activate by default, then it was by error. Since VoLTE is still having many of the kinks ironed out, Verizon currently has things set up to where you have to activate Advanced Calling on your account and on your phone in order to get it up and running.
Interesting. Not sure how that happened then....

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Just a bit of advice for those who use Google Voice as your voicemail instead of Verizon:

After activating Advanced Calling, you'll probably have to set up call forwarding again to get Google Voice working for your voicemail again. The process of switching over breaks any forwarding you have setup, even if the settings in your phone still tell you that you're using Google Voice. When my S5 received the upgrade to Advanced Calling, these are the steps I had to take in order to get Google Voice working as my voicemail again:

After making sure my phone was still connected via Google Voice online, these steps from Google (click on "If you're a Verizon Wireless user click here") are what got it working for me (along with making sure Google Voice was selected for voice mail in my phone's settings). I dialed all three one right after the other:

If you are having trouble configuring Google Voice as your voicemail service on Verizon you can make the switch manually by dialing these three activation codes:

*71[Your Google Voice number]
*90[Your Google Voice number]
*92[Your Google Voice number]

That said, some users have never been able to get Google Voice working as their voicemail on Verizon after activating Advanced Calling. From what I've read, Verizon's tech support has said it's an issue that some numbers have during the forwarding process to get to Google.