Cheapest Way To Get A NEW Droid X?

ZombieSixShot

Reaction score
Without using the annual upgrade or new every 2 upgrade...

Long story short, i need another x, and i have a phone line that has the annual upgrade available, but i want to wait untill the new 4g phones hit the market to get the Etna or something similar. So what is the cheapest way to get a new Droid X? Ive looked through CL and Ebay, but everything is still about 400ish bucks for a new one, im looking to spend about 200.

Thanks in advance.

cpjr

Reaction score
Ain't gonna happen then.

Ebay or craigslist is pretty much the only places to find them.

Why would someone want to sell the phone at the contract price? I mean you could get lucky and find someone that doesnt realize they could get alot more for the phone and buy it cheap...............but I doubt it.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
W/o using an upgrade... about 400 bucks is what you should expect to pay.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Z

ZombieSixShot

Reaction score
Was thinking moreso a company selling it at the contract price for 200 because now they are giving them away for free with a new 2 year contract, so maybe somewhere out there someone is selling just the phone for 2 bills.

cpjr

Reaction score
A company cant buy them cheap enough to sell them at $200 and make money. That is a subsidized price meaning they actually dont make money on the handsets, and make it back up on the contracts.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Any company selling the phone for free gets rebates for the sale, that's how they can sell it for free. If they don't have a contract with the sale there is no rebate, hence the 599.00 non contract price. I doubt you'll find a company selling it for 200.00 w/o a 2year agreement.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

zenman77

Reaction score
I live in Toledo and not only did I purchase a Droid X for $280 off of Craigslist but I just found a htc incredible for my son for $250. I would scourer the the listings everyday and don't be afraid to offer them a lower price. The Droid X was listed for $375, I offered $220 and he stated that he'd take $280. Hope this helps.....

Beka27

Reaction score
If you go that route (thru a private seller) you'll want to call Verizon and verify that the ESN is clean and the phone is available for activation (for example, no money owed on the previous bill)... BEFORE completing the transaction. Otherwise you'll end up with a very beautiful but quite useless paperweight... lol.

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Alright. So, the absolute cheapest way without an upgrade.

Goto Verizon store and add a line for the 10$/month. Have that new line get a droid (100$ after mail in rebate) buy one get one free. Get a droid x as your free phone. Have the rep switch the number on the new X to the number of the old line. Then block data on your new line. Sell the other droid on ebay or craigslist. When you're ready for an upgrade, cancel the new line you added.

You can possibly make money.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Rocko

Reaction score
Problem with ebay or craigslist is if your phone craps out 2 days later, you just blew however much you spent. I would rather pay more and have some recourse.

zenman77

Reaction score
If you go that route (thru a private seller) you'll want to call Verizon and verify that the ESN is clean and the phone is available for activation (for example, no money owed on the previous bill)... BEFORE completing the transaction. Otherwise you'll end up with a very beautiful but quite useless paperweight... lol.

Well yeah, I won't give them any money until we're able to activate it on site. I thought that was a given Beka but could've added that in post just the same. thanx

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Please refrain from insurance fraud suggestions.....

Bro KV

Reaction score

Goto Verizon store and add a line for the 10$/month. Have that new line get a droid (100$ after mail in rebate) buy one get one free. Get a droid x as your free phone. Have the rep switch the number on the new X to the number of the old line. Then block data on your new line. Sell the other droid on ebay or craigslist. When you're ready for an upgrade, cancel the new line you added.

To get a free phone you have to have two lines ready for upgrade.

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

To get a free phone you have to have two lines ready for upgrade.

Opening a new line is the 2nd line eligible. Except it doesn't use the upgrade on one line ... or atleast it didn't when I was able to get my cousin and his wife new android phones (droid 2 and X). They got both phones using 1 upgrade and only paid 100$ (after rebates).

The Verizon rep that we visited actually suggested this method to us.