Cheap Stand

hyperslug

Reaction score
I really don't care to spend a ton of money on a dock, I bought one for the Droid 1 and never used it. I don't care if I have to use cables attached to the phone. What I need is a stand that will fold up for travel so I can use it on the night stand as an alarm clock, but also viewing videos etc. It would be nice if it didn't slide all over the place every time you pushed on the screen. The problem I am finding is that most of the universal folding stands will not allow you to plug in a USB cable when sitting the phone horizontally since the jack is on the bottom of the phone and most stands make the phone bottom sit barely off the table surface with no room for the plug. I could sit the phone upside down but I lose access to volume control. Any help?

Last edited:
OP
H

hyperslug

Reaction score
Using my Motorola Car Mount for Hotel Nightstand

After some research there was really nothing I would be happy with so I tried out using my car mount from Motorola. I am currently in a hotel and it is working well as long as I wet the suction cup. Obviously if you did this multiple times in the same place the water would ruin the veneer but for occasional use on a hotel night stand or desk makes no difference. It fell over when I didn't wet the suction cup. As long as you have a smooth wood surface it should work. Since I fly with my car mount anyway so I can have a GPS this seems to make sense for me. The mount is so far rock solid and I can press on the screen without it dislodging, I'll see how it works out long term.

Jerry24

Reaction score
Here is what I have chosen to do..
1st off to hold the phone in Landscape mode you will sit on the USB plug..
My solution: Amazon.com: Motorola Micro USB SKN6258 Adapter for RAZR2 V8 Q9m V9: Cell Phones & Accessories

Motorola Micro USB SKN6258 Adapter for RAZR2 V8 Q9m V9 (It is a angled micro usb to micro usb adapter.) I bought 2.
Cost: $4.95 from NEWandOEM Free Shipping and out of HIGHLAND PARK, NJ and was received quickly via USPS
I like the idea of leaving it hooked on and just disconnecting the cable to reduce wear on the micro USB port on the Droid..(yea I take it off when I take it out of the house (that is what the spare is for :) )
This plugs in and as your looking at your phone goes to the left under the phone at I made the picture look.
View attachment 50257

Next I wanted a Holder that would let me use it in multiple places..
I got this:Amazon.com: The Wedge - Mobile Device Display Stand - Blue: Electronics
View attachment 50256
I bought 3 different ones 2 Blue and 1 black.. They are $9.95 but I found better shipping from alternate site.

Buy WedgeWorks Carry / Mounting & Protection | Adorama, the Photography People

Standard Shipping was $3.35 this is out of New York (to Chicago) and did not go up when I added 2 more.. so my total shipping was $3.35 and total order was $33.20 for 3 of these..
One for my Desk one for my Bedside and one for my School Bus.

I have the angled cable and it works great.. I Hook it up to my Motorola Cable and it passes every thing through.. So I can mount to PC or whatever like I always do.
I have not gotten a case for this yet so I do not know how all this will look or work with a case..

Once I receive the Wedge I will post a pic with my full setup.. and I will update it if I ever get a case..

Last edited:

orange93

Reaction score
This Case/holster combo is what I have, it came in every color, so I picked out a couple, it was cheaper than any other case I could find so I was able to buy a couple for what I would have paid for one at the Verizon store.

Amazon.com: Motorola