Cheap easy way to car dock your Droiid

c_law23

Reaction score
so i did some experimenting with the magnet and when i put it like it comes from the factory on the upper half of the phone by the flash it goes to car mode. If i put it towards the middle of the phone it goes to multimedia.... hmm.

nevermind. without the metal piece that theory worked. with it, it does not.

PurdueGuy

Reaction score
How does the strength of the magnet compare to a magnet from a hard drive?

youngcity25

Reaction score
Just got this and have had it for a good week now. I will say that this is a Must Have if you want a cheap/easy solution for a Car Dock!

I already have a TomTom GPS with the suction mount and really didn't want to buy another window mount for my phone (considering I am not using my phone for a GPS in my car, more for music and videos).

Great product, magnet is very good also. And not too big where even notice it when attached to back of the Droid.

Thumbs Up!

mrgoochio

Reaction score
Has anyone found a good way to stealth mount a stronger magnet inside the cars dash and or mount the metal piece inside of their phone case? I'm looking into stealth installs and have my droid + otterbox case in the mail atm.

Any recent feedback from the people that tried stronger magnets either from the hardware store or online?

DJM1968

Reaction score
My two cents...

Just got the Cellet yesterday, and I've been experimenting. I decided to go with the smaller, black piece mostly for aesthetics.

The first problem I ran into was the attachment's thickness: putting it directly on the Droid means my Otterbox will not fit properly. I tried using the larger silver piece under the case with the thicker piece on the case, but 1) the magnet just won't hold the silver piece through the case, and 2) the Droid shifts to multimedia mode, and stays there--even if I attach the black piece to the magnet. So, on the case itself it goes.

The second little glitch was the shift to multimedia mode. I ended up placing the flat attachment just above the Otterbox logo; that means that placement on the dash will obscure some controls, no matter where I put it.

Still, it works pretty well. As someone else mentioned, the magnet itself is small, making it difficult to see from outside the car (therefore easily overlooked by would-be thieves), and it's strong--I have to pull to get my Droid off, so I don't think it will fall off while driving. I'm looking forward to testing out the GPS.

jb2c

Reaction score
Old thread, but never did get any answers as to whether it will work through a Seidio case. I'm thinking about gettin the Seidio Innocase Surface case. I believe these are thinner than the other Seidio case. And the earlier posts did not specify exactly which Seidio case was tried. I'm hoping the Surface case is thinner and that the magnent/metal piece will work through the case. Anyone tried that specific case with the Cellet? Also it seems you wouldn't need the 3M tape if you put the metal piece inside the case. If the case fit is snug enough, it should hold the metal piece in place. That should cut down on thickness some.

If I can't make the Cellet work putting the metal piece inside the Seidio case, what are other options? Will the 3M tape hold it on the outside of the case? Even if it does, that doesn't sound like a decent looking option. Did anyone try it without the metal piece (since it was mentioned that the Droid X battery cover is made of metal)?

Also wondering if anyone has tried to remove the 3M tape from their dash? I plan to install it on the vinyl textured part of the dash. But I do want to be sure that if I don't end up liking it, or it doesn't work as I hope, that I can remove it without any damage to the dash.

Did anyone try hiding larger magnents behind the dash? That sounds like an interesting idea. And would make for a really clean install.

dkelly701

Reaction score
I am using the Seido Innocase with the metal piece on the outside. I think the metal piece would be too thick to fit inside the case but I might be wrong. As far as sticking to the case, I first had it stuck to a Verizon case and it held fine. The case messed up and I changed to the Seido case. I pulled the 3M tape off and used Gorilla glue to attach it to the Seidio case and it has been holding for 10 months. As far as looks go, I've got a black case and the metal is black. You can definitely see it, but it looks OK to me.

Old thread, but never did get any answers as to whether it will work through a Seidio case. I'm thinking about gettin the Seidio Innocase Surface case. I believe these are thinner than the other Seidio case. And the earlier posts did not specify exactly which Seidio case was tried. I'm hoping the Surface case is thinner and that the magnent/metal piece will work through the case. Anyone tried that specific case with the Cellet? Also it seems you wouldn't need the 3M tape if you put the metal piece inside the case. If the case fit is snug enough, it should hold the metal piece in place. That should cut down on thickness some.

If I can't make the Cellet work putting the metal piece inside the Seidio case, what are other options? Will the 3M tape hold it on the outside of the case? Even if it does, that doesn't sound like a decent looking option. Did anyone try it without the metal piece (since it was mentioned that the Droid X battery cover is made of metal)?

Also wondering if anyone has tried to remove the 3M tape from their dash? I plan to install it on the vinyl textured part of the dash. But I do want to be sure that if I don't end up liking it, or it doesn't work as I hope, that I can remove it without any damage to the dash.

Did anyone try hiding larger magnents behind the dash? That sounds like an interesting idea. And would make for a really clean install.

tnronin

Reaction score
I got a couple of these. I have no doubt that the phone won't fall off, BUT it will spin, which is not good IMHO. I'm going to run it in my car for a while to see how it goes. I had hopes of maybe using this for my motorcycle as well. Nope, not going to happen. And both my magnets had the correct polarity for the car dock FWIW.

franzy

Reaction score
I just ordered the magnet from amazon - 5 bucks. I also just ordered a Ballistic case for my droid x.