Chaton Spam

megraven21

Reaction score
I have been using chaton for several months (so has my family) and a few of us have been getting spam messages from "chicks" with seductive profile pictures. I don't see how to block a person unless they are a "buddy" so all I can do is not open the message and close the chat room but they are still coming. It's driving me nuts! I have all my privacy settings set to where no-one can find me by my cell phone number or Samsung account and only my buddies can see my profile pic. Yesterday I got one of these messages and when I unlocked my phone (note 3) it automatically opened the message chaton cuz the notification was showing on my lockscreen. When it opened, the operating system gave me a message saying it "couldn't open...." something that I didn't read since I backed out as fast as I could, which seems that it was trying to do something to my phone. This morning I opened my phone and my Verizon wireless app was opened, which I did NOT do myself. I NEVER open that app and I use nova launcher and have the app drawer set to open in the same place I was last time and it was in the P-S's, not V for Verizon. Also my volume had been changed.

I've emailed chaton a few days ago but of course I have received no response. What do I do? It was pre-installed on my phone so I can't uninstall the app but even if I could, I am guessing this....thing...has installed something on to my phone to give itself access. How do I fix/stop this? I've ran the free version of Norton and it hasn't picked up any malware and short of a factory reset, I don't know what to do. I don't even know if a factory reset would work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
M.Raven

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I would go to settings /manage applications/Chat On/ Clear data and cache ...Also does it give you option to either Turn off ? Also uncheck notifications ..

OP
M

megraven21

Reaction score
I've gone in and cleared cache and data but you cannot turn the app off. I think I'm going to call Samsung since its one of their apps, and see if they give a crap. So far, they have been very helpful each time I've called them so I'm hoping they will continue. This app has insane permissions. "Add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without hosts knowledge, read calendar events plus confidential information....", plus a ton more. It's ridiculous.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Good luck and keep us posted..I just freeze these apps myself and don't use them...root the phone and freeze with ad blocker is the only way I roll...let us know though if any success..

OP
M

megraven21

Reaction score
I would love to try to root a phone but I have no idea how to or handle any issues if I get stuck or do something wrong. I rely on my phone as my life line for work so I can't afford to be out a phone and since I am the most technologically advanced person I know,....it's not happening. Lol. Thanks for your response. I've been on hold with Samsung for about 10mins so far so as long as I can talk to them, I will let you know what they say. I'd be interested to know if others are having this issue. One thing I was thinking is my 9yr old niece has a Tab 2 and uses chaton. I looked at her tablet once and from the looks of it, practically every single app she has gives her spam notifications so I'm wondering if they got my info off her tablet. That's the only way I can think of.