Charter and Time Warner Cable Merging in $78.7 Billion Dollar Deal

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, May 26, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Charter Communications is swooping in to take advantage of the failed merger between Time Warner and Comcast. The company just announced a merger that will see Time Warner Cable absorbed by Charter for a massive $78.7 Billion dollar payout.

We have included the full press release in the thread below for all of the details. Here at HQ, we aren't at all surprised by this. Most of the industry expected this to happen, but the monetary sum is much higher than expected (and quite a bit more that the $45 Billion deal that failed between TWC and Comcast. What do you guys think? Will this one pass the Governmental & consumer muster, or is it doomed to fail too?

2. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    Here's the full press release from Charter on their merger with Time Warner Cable:

3. Powarun

Powarun Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Current Phone Model:
    HTC One M8
    How about no.

4. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +772
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel 2XL
    charter got rid of data caps, they plan on bringing out 300/50 internet speeds (100/25 minimum for basic plan). I don't want any TWC trash in a so far good company.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,455
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    As a Charter customer, I'm definitely interested to see what this brings about. When they doubled our internet speeds, they didn't charge any more. I was impressed by that. I was unaware that they'd dropped caps until just now. When they were in the process of upgrading the network in our area, my internet slowed to a crawl for a few days and I found info on the cap at that time (I was nowhere near the top of it).

As others have stated, having heard TWC horror stories, I'm not sure that I'm looking forward to the change, but hopefully the heads at Charter will stay the course that they've already set and bring TWC in-line with the way they've operated thus far.

I still pay them an arm and a leg, but I don't feel like I'm being screwed over by them left and right like customers of other companies have expressed on this forum and elsewhere.

6. Amagine

Amagine Active Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Understanding how each of these companies handle their Infrastructure, I have to say this could be interesting. While the comcast/TWC merger was going to be a train wreck from a consumer stand point. This one kind of looks like the cable version of the Sprint/ Nextel deal back in the day.
    Charter is pretty good about keeping up to date on their infrastructure, but they aren't terribly efficient at managing their network. For years their network was pretty much just cobbled together and overly redundant. While they are decent at Break/Fix issues, expansion is going to be tricky. That's the probably why they went after TWC. It was going to be just as costly either way. TWC was a ready made package.
    TWC is just an infrastructure nightmare. They are essentially what Charter was 10 years ago. Big network spliced together the quickest way possible for revenue synergies without the forward thinking of how to maintain it. I fear that Charter may find itself in a pickle of how to get the TWC network in line with the Charter network. TWC had a hell of a time absorbing Insight Communications.

Naturally revenue and A/P will quickly be converted over. But I doubt those in TWC coverage areas seen major changes very soon. Probably 3 years minimum on the integration, least on the broadband side. Cable/Video probably quicker.

• Like Like x 1
  7. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +503
    I would prefer if Internet was like a Utility, where I could get my Internet from anyone I wanted to. Whoever has the best price wins!

No need for independent lines coming into my house. My cable lines work just fine.

8. Amagine

Amagine Active Member

Ratings:
    +90
    It cracks me up when this comes up. Unfortunately, unlike the dial up days. That's not how broadband works. However, I do wish that the "last mile plant" was utilized. Granted, if you did that, customer install rates would go through the roof as the company has to recover that cost somehow.

Also to be fair. Most areas of the country, don't have a true "Utility" set up with even their basic Water/Power utilities anymore. Most have one maybe two utilities serving a certain area and

9. Amagine

Amagine Active Member

Ratings:
    +90
    The area, I wish the FCC would focus its neutrality efforts would be in the wireless realm. Somehow dictating that US market phones had to be capable of being unlocked and moved from carrier to carrier. Including those packaged for Verizon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +503
    Well, I have TWC now. Why can't Optimum lease from TWC, and I pay Optimum for their Internet services. If this was mandated by the government, for example a fair lease price for the network's infrastructure, it would be doable.

Then I could see this being expanded to Wireless carriers. What if I could use Verizon's network LTE, and pay T-Mobile prices? Of course lobbying would prevent this utopian design, but I can still dream.

11. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +503
    If my phone could be unlocked and work on any carrier, including Verizon or Sprint, that would be a "happy day". Why manufacturers don't just make World/Global phones is beyond me.

12. Amagine

Amagine Active Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Design costs. Many do create these phones, but they are locked out of Verizon's ecosystem

Search tags for this page

charter billion dollars deal