Charleston, WV Getting LTE Madness First

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
lte.png
Well Charleston residents, you can finally sleep happy knowing you’re the first to taste that fresh of the line LTE speed before the Droid TS comes and slows it down (not being serious of course). Verizon announced their list of cities that will be getting LTE this year a few weeks ago, and we already knew the cities but it is nice to know who comes first in Verizon's heart and sadly it is not my city of Saint Paul Minnesota or the Admins Texas city. The city of their choice lies in West Virginia and the event will be so great that they got the Governor of the state to join them in announcing it and the senator to watch.

If you have yet to experience 4G for yourself, you need to try this thing out. 4G speeds are amazing especially while on the road and need to find something fast. I have 4G speeds on my G2 and my friends with Evo's and Epic's are always trying to compare speeds with me, of course I win, but with our speeds being similar, it all comes down to whose browser is better. I digress... LTE will be cool, you will enjoy it, you will like how a page (like Droidforums.net) loads in around 5 or fewer seconds, you might pay a bit more for it, but worth it.

Any Charleston residents living online in our forum?
Via: AC
Full list of cities

gottherim4

Reaction score
The "A" indicator in the map above is not where Charleston is located. Charleston, the WV state capital, is in the lower middle of the state. Charlestown is the small town marked above. :)

gottherim4

Reaction score
Sorry for the correction on my first post. I have been a long time stalker here. Thank you everyone for all the work here!

Big Ry

Reaction score
Charleston, WV? SERIOUSLY!?!? That's a tiny little coal mining "city" in the boondocks of the Appalachian! Why on earth would they get it first? In case it fails miserably so no one would find out? Why not Philly, NYC, or LA?

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
The picture in the OP shows where "CHARLESTOWN" West Virginia is, not Charleston.....no biggie, I'm used to it.

What exactly are we getting first? LTE?

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Charleston, WV? SERIOUSLY!?!? That's a tiny little coal mining "city" in the boondocks of the Appalachian! Why on earth would they get it first? In case it fails miserably so no one would find out? Why not Philly, NYC, or LA?

These are the cities that will get the launch. Don't get your panties in a wad, Hokie........

Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Initial Major Metropolitan Area Deployment
Akron, Ohio
Athens, Georgia
Atlanta, Georgia
Baltimore, Maryland
Boston, Massachusetts
Charlotte, North Carolina
Chicago, Illinois
Cincinnati, Ohio
Cleveland, Ohio
Columbus, Ohio
Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, Dallas, Texas
Denver, Colorado
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Houston, Texas
Jacksonville, Florida
Las Vegas, Nevada
Los Angeles, California
Miami, Florida
Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Nashville, Tennessee
New Orleans, Louisiana
New York, New York
Oakland, California
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Orlando, Florida
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Phoenix, Arizona
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Rochester, New York
San Antonio, Texas
San Diego, California
San Francisco, California
San Jose, California
Seattle/Tacoma, Washington
St. Louis, Missouri
Tampa, Florida
Washington, D.C.
West Lafayette, Indiana
West Palm Beach, Florida

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
In a way I'm not surprised that Charleston will be the first to get LTE. Why, you ask? Well, about 3 years ago VZW acquired a small regional carrier called West Virginia Wireless. Before this acquisition, WV was basically all roaming with very little native coverage. WV Wireless also was a GSM provider, so all the towers had to be upgraded. What better time to make the transition from GSM to CDMA at that time?

I have no inside knowledge of this, but that is my opinion looking back at my VZW call center experience and the announcement that Charleston will be first.

Big Ry

Reaction score
In a way I'm not surprised that Charleston will be the first to get LTE. Why, you ask? Well, about 3 years ago VZW acquired a small regional carrier called West Virginia Wireless. Before this acquisition, WV was basically all roaming with very little native coverage. WV Wireless also was a GSM provider, so all the towers had to be upgraded. What better time to make the transition from GSM to CDMA at that time?

I have no inside knowledge of this, but that is my opinion looking back at my VZW call center experience and the announcement that Charleston will be first.
I say, that actually sounds like a pretty reasonable explanation. I still would expect them to try a major multicity release and keep WV under the radar, but perhaps they're just eager to get the ball rolling on this LTE business. Can't wait for Philly to get it...and Blacksburg (which will probably be a couple years from now lol).

Big Ry

Reaction score

These are the cities that will get the launch. Don't get your panties in a wad, Hokie........

Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Initial Major Metropolitan Area Deployment
Akron, Ohio
Athens, Georgia
Atlanta, Georgia
Baltimore, Maryland
Boston, Massachusetts
Charlotte, North Carolina
Chicago, Illinois
Cincinnati, Ohio
Cleveland, Ohio
Columbus, Ohio
Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, Dallas, Texas
Denver, Colorado
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Houston, Texas
Jacksonville, Florida
Las Vegas, Nevada
Los Angeles, California
Miami, Florida
Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Nashville, Tennessee
New Orleans, Louisiana
New York, New York
Oakland, California
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Orlando, Florida
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Phoenix, Arizona
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Rochester, New York
San Antonio, Texas
San Diego, California
San Francisco, California
San Jose, California
Seattle/Tacoma, Washington
St. Louis, Missouri
Tampa, Florida
Washington, D.C.
West Lafayette, Indiana
West Palm Beach, Florida
Do I sense some VA envy in your tone?

I am well aware of the major metropolitan areas getting LTE right away...I just assumed it'd be a simultaneous nationwide launch instead of incremental.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Trust me, Big Ry....no envy at all. I've lived all over the country and bigger doesn't mean better.

Verizon probably wants to test the mountainous regions and WV is close but yet far away. Plus, as the previous poster mentioned Big Red has a big presence here from the Bell Atlantic days.

Or, our Governor is sleeping with someone important....could be any or all of the above.

~ DroidForums.net App ~

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's going to be painful waiting another 6 months or so for LTE handsets to come out. And then it will be the "will it get rooted / what kind of developer support will the phone have?".