Charging to drain or not to drain

droidborg

Reaction score
I have been using my DX for a couple of weeks and have observed the battery will stay charged for a long time if I don't do much. Talking on the phone, standby, texting are reasonable but if I'm on the web of using navigation it goes down pretty fast. Not much I can do about this from what I have read but I have a couple of questions.

Is there a stronger battery available for the DX yet? If so is it thicker needing a different battery cover? Who sells it? How much better is it?

Also on phones in the past I had always had really good battery charge life and had always used the practice of letting the phone die every once and a while and giving it a complete powered off charge. I know you aren't supposed to need to do this with current batteries but it seemed to work for me. The X wants to be charged when it gets to 30% and I seem to have read somewhere that you weren't supposed to let it get really low. So what is the real story?

Thanks

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have you worked around the droid x no sleep bug:
phone settings > location & security > use wireless networks > UNCHECK

(Or maybe you'll have to turn off GPS when done using, turn off WIFI when done using, reboot after charging)

Also, it's a good idea to dial *228 to update PRLs once in a while.

Yes, you can get an extended battery for the Droid X and I think they come with a new cover. You can get it through Verizon. I don't know how much better it is.

You usually don't want to drain the battery all the way, but when you get a new battery/phone you have to calibrate it. Drain it all the way and then charge it all the way. You actually want to do this about once/month.

OP
droidborg

droidborg

Reaction score
Have you worked around the droid x no sleep bug:
phone settings > location & security > use wireless networks > UNCHECK]

Well if I do that then open weather, radar or maps or anything that needs to know where I am they won't work until I go in and check the box again. So I gather that it is sucking battery if it is on. I don't really like the idea of being tracked either but I've given up a lot of privacy concerns with this phone. On my computer I hate letting google mine anything I do but on the DX that is nothing compared with what is watching every move I make. Oh well. The price of progress.

[Also, it's a good idea to dial *228 to update PRLs once in a while.]

Did it. Guess I need to do that if I travel to another city. Do I need to do it periodically in my home town too?

[Yes, you can get an extended battery for the Droid X and I think they come with a new cover. You can get it through Verizon. I don't know how much better it is.]

I'll wait for reports.

[You usually don't want to drain the battery all the way, but when you get a new battery/phone you have to calibrate it. Drain it all the way and then charge it all the way. You actually want to do this about once/month.]

The battery was at 10% this morning and after a couple of hours idle it turned off and when I plugged it in the battery app showed 0 battery. I left it alone until it was at 100% I hadn't done this before and the battery had never gotten below 20% so it was probably a good thing to do.

Thanks for the advice.

lamarrk

Reaction score
Li-on batteries do not have a memory, such as NiMH and NiCD batteries do. They do not require draining to 'condition' or 're-condition' them.

Top them off whenever you want.