Charging to drain or not to drain

Discussion in 'Droid X FAQ' started by droidborg, Aug 24, 2010.

1. droidborg

droidborg New Member

I have been using my DX for a couple of weeks and have observed the battery will stay charged for a long time if I don't do much. Talking on the phone, standby, texting are reasonable but if I'm on the web of using navigation it goes down pretty fast. Not much I can do about this from what I have read but I have a couple of questions.

Is there a stronger battery available for the DX yet? If so is it thicker needing a different battery cover? Who sells it? How much better is it?

Also on phones in the past I had always had really good battery charge life and had always used the practice of letting the phone die every once and a while and giving it a complete powered off charge. I know you aren't supposed to need to do this with current batteries but it seemed to work for me. The X wants to be charged when it gets to 30% and I seem to have read somewhere that you weren't supposed to let it get really low. So what is the real story?

Thanks
  2. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Have you worked around the droid x no sleep bug:
    phone settings > location & security > use wireless networks > UNCHECK

(Or maybe you'll have to turn off GPS when done using, turn off WIFI when done using, reboot after charging)

Also, it's a good idea to dial *228 to update PRLs once in a while.

Yes, you can get an extended battery for the Droid X and I think they come with a new cover. You can get it through Verizon. I don't know how much better it is.

You usually don't want to drain the battery all the way, but when you get a new battery/phone you have to calibrate it. Drain it all the way and then charge it all the way. You actually want to do this about once/month.
  3. droidborg

droidborg New Member

4. lamarrk

lamarrk New Member

Li-on batteries do not have a memory, such as NiMH and NiCD batteries do. They do not require draining to 'condition' or 're-condition' them.

Top them off whenever you want.
    1 person likes this.