Charging time required

willyk007

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if I have an issue with my phone, my charger, or my wall outlets. Currently, it seems to be taking me well over an hour to completely charge my Bionic. I plugged it in around 5% battery and hour ago and it has only charged up to 40%. Is everyone else experiencing these long charge times?

(standard battery, not the extended battery)

brockw1964

Reaction score
I've had mine in charge mode connected to my pc most of the day except for lunch, when I went out. It has only charged to 60% whereas my Moto Droid would charge to 100% in less than 2 hours.

So yes, mine is charging slow too.

MichaelD

Reaction score
I'm looking at about a 2 hour charge time.
Phone is also hunting for 2G/3G/4G networks (draining juice) as my office generates enough interference that I'm in a quasi-Faraday cage.

@brockw1964 - A computer's USB port won't be able to put out as much energy as a wall charger. I finally bought a MicroUSB wall charger for my original droid because my ThinkPad could never charge it fast enough.

brockw1964

Reaction score
Yeah, thanks Michael. Now, lets just see how long a charge lasts....

them0nk

Reaction score
the charger that came with my bionic was only 850 milliamps... i immediately starting using a 1 amp charger... check that on your chargers... usb max's at 500 ma - my subie's cigarette port doesn't feed my 1amp charger in there either... really annoying.

MichaelD

Reaction score
Well I just ordered the Motorola Battery Dock so I can charge my phone + 1 other battery at the same time. (It comes with an additional battery)
Motorola PN: 89508N, VZW SKU: MOTBIOBOC (It isn't on Verizon's website, but a Store or 611 can have FedEx bring you one in two days...Amazon also has them, but priced a bit more than VZW if shipped+sold-by Amazon).
No matter what phone I have, I've always had battery issues when I'm at work (unintentional quasi-Faraday cage) & like to have a second battery hanging around for the 1-2 days a month the phone can't get enough charge in the car before my evening starts. The battery dock solves the problem of letting both batteries recharge overnight.

jdmcwestevo

Reaction score
Well I just ordered the Motorola Battery Dock so I can charge my phone + 1 other battery at the same time. (It comes with an additional battery)
Motorola PN: 89508N, VZW SKU: MOTBIOBOC (It isn't on Verizon's website, but a Store or 611 can have FedEx bring you one in two days...Amazon also has them, but priced a bit more than VZW if shipped+sold-by Amazon).
No matter what phone I have, I've always had battery issues when I'm at work (unintentional quasi-Faraday cage) & like to have a second battery hanging around for the 1-2 days a month the phone can't get enough charge in the car before my evening starts. The battery dock solves the problem of letting both batteries recharge overnight.

i have that charger with extra battery it rocks!

OP
willyk007

willyk007

Reaction score
the charger that came with my bionic was only 850 milliamps... i immediately starting using a 1 amp charger... check that on your chargers... usb max's at 500 ma - my subie's cigarette port doesn't feed my 1amp charger in there either... really annoying.

Will that burn the battery out quicker??

BlackTTC6

Reaction score
With the extended battery it took about 2 hours to go from 10% to 100%

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Anyone who is having charging issues, MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING THE CHARGER AND THE CABLE THAT CAME WITH THE BIONIC. :) Older ones, and other brands seem to have issues.

BlackTTC6

Reaction score
Anyone who is having charging issues, MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING THE CHARGER AND THE CABLE THAT CAME WITH THE BIONIC. :) Older ones, and other brands seem to have issues.

The charger that came with it is GARBAGE. I'm using a charger from my old Blackberry storm that has worked perfectly on my DX and now Bionic

ConqSoft

Reaction score
If you say so... But it's already happened to many people. For best results, always use the charger supplied.

esaslaw

Reaction score
I've had mine in charge mode connected to my pc most of the day except for lunch, when I went out. It has only charged to 60% whereas my Moto Droid would charge to 100% in less than 2 hours.

So yes, mine is charging slow too.

Very similar and disturbing experience. The Original Droid was at 100% at the end of a full day charging off my laptop. I really need to have that back, and can't understand why that can't be and should not be done.