Charging the battery

piggylubber

Reaction score
My morning for questions it seems..

When I first got my DX, it felt like I was constantly being hit with a message that the battery the DX uses does not like to fully discharge and it was recommended to charge it at 30%...now that I want to prove that to a friend, I can not for the life of me figure out where I got the info...I am guessing it was some newbie setting that I must have turned off?

I have scoured the users manual (no help) and the internet... From there, what I came up with is Lithium batteries *like* partial charges and I should, in fact, charge them whenever possible. Also, I should not run down the battery to dead if at all possible.

I would like to find the actual documentation, preferably from Motorolla, supporting this...

wdprice3

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but from what I know/heard...

I haven't seen that message at 30%... possibly lower (as in <15%) but I can't be sure as I hardly see those levels.

Lithium batteries don't necessarily like partial charges, but unlike batteries of the past, they typically do not form a "memory" (where partial charging would result in the battery/device operating only between certain charge levels).

Just as with any battery, fully-discharging it isn't all that healthy; nor is constant charging; nor is use for that matter. All batteries have a finite life, which is shortened due to charge/recharge cycles and can be further shortened by constant charging or complete discharges.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's my mission in life to dispel battery myths.

Lithium batteries should be fully charged when you first get one but if you don't charge it fully it won't affect the life of the battery. Draining the battery down completely occasionally won't hurt it, just don't do it too often. Droid won't let you anyway, it shuts off at 5%.

If anybody following my post goes into a speech about conditioning the battery do not pay attention, that no longer applies to lithium batteries. It applied to the old nicad batteries.

Charge it when you feel like it. Mine is on and off the charger all day long. You cannot overcharge it.

OP
P

piggylubber

Reaction score
Ty Hookbill! Surprised this info is more in your face...so many of us are used to cycling the batteries LOL