charging problems?

jaybogg

Reaction score
I always hook my phone to wall charger when 15% message pops up. Normal action is : 1) pop up disappears 2) lightning bolt appears in battery icon 3) icon goes from red to green in steps, (about 5 second cycle)showing it is charging. For the last few days, when I plug in the charger, I get action 1) above, but not 2) or 3). The icon just remains red. If I unplug it, the pop up immediately appears, if I reconnect the charger, I get the same thing. If I repeat 3-10 times, the lightning bolt and charging cycle of the battery icon works. Anyone else seen this? I tend to suspect the micro usb cable or the connector on the phone(hope not). Obviously, the phone knows a cable is being connected but doesn't show it is charging. Last thing I want to do is allow battery to die. Any advice is appreciated.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Well if it charges after a few tries every time then it kind of sounds like a software thing.

Are you running a custom ROM/rooted?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
jaybogg

jaybogg

Reaction score
I will try docking station next time I get the pop up. At least this will rule out or point to the cable, depending on results.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I would check the cable. When you plug in the charging cable, there are pins which are connected together to tell the phone it's connected to an AC wall adapter. If the power cables inside that connector have come loose however, it will still think there's a charging cable plugged in, but it won't get the voltage and so the lightning bolt and animated battery charging will not happen. Best way to be sure is to try another known good charger cable. If the problem doesn't present itself, it's the charger.

OP
jaybogg

jaybogg

Reaction score
Appears to be cable. I connected it to docking station and got all the appropriate indications. Will continue to connect to old cable and docking station alternately to see modulation of problem and give greater degree of cerainty. I realize I could probably do this immediately but I like to have same conditions, down to the same pop up appearing. Not a problem, I have the time.

OP
jaybogg

jaybogg

Reaction score
Have modulated problem for a couple days, definitely cable, always works fine on dock.