Charging problems on OG Droid A855 with Gingerbread (BuglessBeast 2.3.7 GPA19)

Circuitsoft

Reaction score
http://www.peteralfonso.com/2011/10/download-bugless-beast-v-gpa19-android.html

When I plug the charger in, the white LED lights up for just a few seconds and goes out, even though the battery is <5% full. If I pull the cord out, it pops up a box warning me of the 5% battery state. Plugging the cable back in dismisses that box, but does not appear to charge the battery. When the display is off, the red light is solid while the phone's plugged in, and blinking while the phone is unplugged. Even plugged in and idle, the phone eventually kills the battery.

Has anyone else had battery charging issues? Any solutions? This is my first attempt at a non-stock ROM on this phone.

At this point, I'm charging the battery externally on a CC-CV bench supply (I work in EE, so I know how to safely charge a lithium cell).​

Last edited:

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My guess is that the issue is in the battery, not the phone.

Best way to know for sure is to get your hands on another D1 battery and see if it will take a charge or not.

Unless you have already tried that...

OP
C

Circuitsoft

Reaction score
I just flashed the ROM last night, and had absolutely no battery problems before, on FRG83g. The battery is taking a charge on the bench just fine. The only other battery available to me (from my brother's phone) is known to be in worse shape than mine.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just flashed the ROM last night, and had absolutely no battery problems before, on FRG83g. The battery is taking a charge on the bench just fine. The only other battery available to me (from my brother's phone) is known to be in worse shape than mine.

I see where you are coming from... I just know that in the past I have been 100% positive something I did cause something else to break because of the timing only to find out later it wasn't the case... Occam's razor isn't always true. Hence why I try and test the individual components of a failing system to narrow down the issue and/or find compound issues, no matter how far fetched it seems. Being an avionics/aerospace engineer. my EE-fu is weaker than it should be, but it seems like it would be possible that bench charging could be part of the issue (as it is outside the "intended design" of that specific battery.

Have you tried to push a charge to your battery in your brother's phone?

If you can validate the battery working correctly, my next step would be to return the device to stock and see if that fixes the problem. At which point you can most likely narrow it down to a hardware or software issue.

OP
C

Circuitsoft

Reaction score
I won't have access to my brother's phone for another several hours. I just left the battery on the bench for longer than before then took the phone to lunch with me. The phone is now reporting 80% and the rate it's dropping (not visible over the hour I was gone) seems perfectly reasonable to me. Plugging in now, the charge light still doesn't come on, and the electric bolt does not overlay on the battery symbol. At least I now have enough battery power that I could nandroid revert to stock and see if it's still not working.

OP
C

Circuitsoft

Reaction score
:mad: Nevermind. USB plug wasn't all the way into the computer. :blush: Amazing that the behavior was that consistent for so long...