Charging... or Not charging...??

hufn

Reaction score
I have an odd problem. I have an orig. Droid running jrummy's 5.0.9 with an OC to 1250, but I also was running it at 600. I'll explain :)

When I use the Google Maps for directions plugged into the car dock, while plugged into the car charger (I have used several so it's not just the one) sometimes it will stay at 100% charge, or even charge from about 80% up to 100%. However, sometimes it will consistently drop instead. Today, for instance, I was driving a couple of hours and it dropped from 100 to 50% while it was charging. It said it was charging on the screen and the light on the droid by the connection was on.

So why sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't? I though perhaps the OC would do it, so I used Setcpu to set a profile to have it max at 600 while charging, and I verified it was at 600 while plugged in, and it still dropped.

Anyone have any ideas?? I'd be very greatful :) I don't use it all the time, but it is useful, and I'd rather not have to worry about it...

Thanks!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have an odd problem. I have an orig. Droid running jrummy's 5.0.9 with an OC to 1250, but I also was running it at 600. I'll explain :)

When I use the Google Maps for directions plugged into the car dock, while plugged into the car charger (I have used several so it's not just the one) sometimes it will stay at 100% charge, or even charge from about 80% up to 100%. However, sometimes it will consistently drop instead. Today, for instance, I was driving a couple of hours and it dropped from 100 to 50% while it was charging. It said it was charging on the screen and the light on the droid by the connection was on.

So why sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't? I though perhaps the OC would do it, so I used Setcpu to set a profile to have it max at 600 while charging, and I verified it was at 600 while plugged in, and it still dropped.

Anyone have any ideas?? I'd be very greatful :) I don't use it all the time, but it is useful, and I'd rather not have to worry about it...

Thanks!!

The only thing it really can be is something is running in the background. I'll bet your Droid is hotter then usual when this happens.

Had it happen to me the other day. Phone just sitting in the dock, didn't lose power but wasn't gaining any. Felt hot. I tried to find out what was causing it but I failed. Next two days, no problem at all.

Next time it happens try a reset and see if that doesn't help.

OP
H

hufn

Reaction score
Wow - thanks for the quick reply :) I had thought of that and cycled off/on just to try again, but it still went down... I was hoping processor but that isn't it. I also thought screen brightness - when it was charging it was in a place that wasn't in the sun, but that doesn't make sense. I know the screen is using a lot of power but the charger should be designed to handle that... I'm going to try that and see though...

OP
H

hufn

Reaction score
No one has any other thoughts?

Mr.Droid2

Reaction score
This happen to me lastnight, i fell asleep while I was listing to music and my phone was on charge. Then when I woke up my battery was on 50% and phone was hot so I took it off the charger.

OP
H

hufn

Reaction score
Just wanted to update. I guess this isn't a common thing?

Tried it the other day - same settings, same setup but on the first leg I left the screen on auto - since it's in the sun it was at it's brightest. Second trip I put it on the second level (use the power control widget) so bright enough, not brightest. First trip it dropped, second it didn't. But it was only an hour so it didn't go up either....

Oh well....

caboyzcoti

Reaction score
I don't think its uncommon my charging light blinks often wheni have it plugged in and when I can get it to stay stable it takes forever to charge lately and if I'm using the phone it will go completely down just not die whn plugged in this is really annoying on the phone I think is the best one I've owned yet. I'm just gonna wait till vzw comes out with a droid with a keyboard and front facing cam and use this for developing or something when I get into tech school haha

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We were on a long road trip (3 hrs or so) and was using the d1 in its dash mount as a GPS. It was plugged into the lighter socket.

I noticed the red led was flashing and thought the cord wasn't working right. Turns out the white LED was on, indicating it should be charging. The battery monitoring tool BatteryLife widget was what clued me in. It did not say it was charging but did show the battery was over 120 degrees F. I held the phone over the AC vent and as soon as it dropped below 120 it started charging.

I concluded something is there as a safety device in case the battery is overheating. I imagine charging will make it go even hotter and to prevent some sort of escalating situation that fries the phone the charging ceases over 120F.

OP
H

hufn

Reaction score
I haven't checked this in some time but saw the link on my desktop and thought I'd just see... What timing ;) Christim - I bet you are right. I will also garner a guess that it's actually 50deg C - which is 122F - as most electronic stuff are C based, but irregardless, it is a good thing to watch. Thanks!