Charging New Battery

fic1

Reaction score
Just bought a new extended battery from motorola, When I get it should I charge it full first or should I drain it then charge it fully. Someone told me to drain first then the first charge should be with my car charger. Never heard this before. Thanks

CxUNG

Reaction score
You should always fully charge brand new batteries. Then once a month let it drain all the way then charge it fully to recalibrate the battery. But lithion ion battery are good at keeping charge with little effort. But dont let your battery constantly drain all the way till the fone shuts off bad for batt.

Sent from DROiDx using DROiDforumsAPP

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree, it's a good idea to fully charge a new battery. And there is nothing wrong with allowing a battery to fully discharge once a month.

The problem I have here is the notion of "recalibrate." Lithium batteries don't have a memory so there is nothing to recalibrate. That applies only to the old nicad batteries.

If you use it when you first get it and run it down it won't hurt anything, but I personally prefer to charge it first.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1! The car charger thing is a lie.

You should always fully charge brand new batteries. Then once a month let it drain all the way then charge it fully to recalibrate the battery. But lithion ion battery are good at keeping charge with little effort. But dont let your battery constantly drain all the way till the fone shuts off bad for batt.

Sent from DROiDx using DROiDforumsAPP

DroidForums Junkie!!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let it drop to about 5% then fully charge.
LI batteries don't like being fully drained.
The once a month is good for phone calibration but again,LI batteries don't like to be fully drained so I would suggest less often than once a month. The calibration doesn't get very far off anyway.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

Threeball

Reaction score
How or when or for how long makes no difference to the battery itself. There is evidence that draining a li battery is bad for it. More important is to understand that all the talk of batt calibration is about the phone's batt stats. Calibration does nothing for the physical battery, it just makes the % in the notification bar more accurate.

Sent from my nonsensikal froyo using DroidForums App