FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Dude, your a genius. How did you learn all this stuff? Lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

:rofl3: Really, I'm no genius, I'm just a research freak, deep though person, and a technogeek! More importantly, I love to help people and want to make sure they have the most beneficial and accurate information. It's so easy to be mislead by urban legends, just ask Penn & Teller.

Thanks for the complements, but the biggest complement you can give me (other than this so public broadcast), is to convey this information to the masses and show solidarity so we can weed out the bad information for everyone. Also, please feel free to "Like" any posts of all members that you think have provided you with helpful information, or have helped someone else and you feel are deserving of your show of appreciation.

Thanks again. Good luck! :biggrin:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
that is a good question. if you never let it hit zero how oes your battery know that 0 represents 0. if you charge constantly from 15% wouldnt your battery believe 0 is 15% thsmus losing that 15 percent of space in the battery. and over time your phone loses that 15% and thinks 15 is 0. then after a while loses 15% more. and so on. in time really weakening the batrery? i may not understand this correctly but as of right now that is what it sounds like to me. it really seems like nobidy is 100% on how to really mantain a healthy battery because there are all sorts of "theories". forgive me if im completely missing the point. im far from a battery expert.

Sent from my BLACK DROID RAZR using Droid Forums. Prepare to be impressified!!!!

I also didn't answer a part of that question so I'll attack it now. The thought that it would "lose" recognition of repeated 15% amounts and eventually "think" there's no capacity left makes sense if you only look at percentages, however the meter is looking at Voltages. Voltages will always be the same at the same relative "Charge Capacity". What does change over time is the actual capacity of the battery, so for instance a new battery may provide 15 hours of steady use at a certain level of power consumption before it hits 15% of capacity. A battery that's a year old however will only provide maybe 13 hours of steady use at that same level of consumption before it hits 15% of the now lesser capacity. In both cases, the 15% mark will be at the same voltage, let's say 3.35V, but what is lost is the length of time it takes to get from 4.2V (fully charged) to 15% (low battery).

Another thing that's confusing for some is the % value itself. 15% of what, or 100% of what...?:blink: Well, it's a percentage of either the "rated capacity" (the number of mAh stamped on the battery), or the new, diminished capacity as a result of either time (batteries age even when not used and a 3-year old LIPO battery is essentially useless), number of charges, how it's been charged/discharged, and/or a combination of any and all of those variables. So a 1 year-old battery that's been abused by charging to 100% of capacity every time, kept at or in the range of 100% for extended periods of time (being left on charger for days as an example), allowed to endure high temperatures and always deep discharged (below 15%), may actually be as "old" as a 2 year-old battery that was cared for properly. In both examples, the two batteries may now have a capacity that is only 80% of the original "Rated capacity" as stamped on the battery. Still, both batteries will charge to their respective capacities and the battery meter will read 100% when they are fully charged, and as well will show about the same Voltage when they hit the 15% threshold, as long as the meter is in sync with the new - lower capacity.

To simplify things, think of a glass that shrinks both over time, and with each fill, but shrinks faster if you either fill it to the brim, keep it full, or empty it. On the other hand it shrinks slower if you always leave about 10-15% of the liquid at the bottom, you don't frequently fill it to the rim, and if you do fill it, you begin drinking soon after. Also, even if you don't use the glass, it's slowly shrinking as well, so with each fill, it holds less in total. Is a glass that only holds 8oz any less full when it's full than one that holds 16oz? No, they're both filled to 100%, but one is 100% of 8oz, the other of 16oz. Likewise when there's only 15% left, the 16oz glass will have MORE liquid (2.4oz) left than the 8oz glass (1.2oz), yet they would both be considered 15% full.