Charging issue with my S3 -- need to know what you guys are experiencing

Reaction score
2 issues i'm having with my VERIZON S3 (got the phone yesterday)

1) The phone charges EXTREMELY slowly. I'm talking I had it plugged in from 9pm to 6am last night and it only went from 30% to 91%. Used the stock charger. Is this normal (hope not)

2) When the phone is plugged in, it will not actually charge if the screen is on. If the screen is on, it stops charging and starts draining... wtf. I really hope I just have a defective unit or something. With this scenario, my phone drained to 0% WHILE plugged in yesterday. This should not happen!

Please post your experiences related to the above issues so I can figure out if I have a defective unit or not.

Reaction score
I am not having any of those problems so i guess its some sort of defect.

Edit* just kept an eye on it and while using the phone when its plugged in it charges very slowly. But when not in use id say it charges quite quickly.

Beka27

Reaction score
Charged outta the box before activation. From about 50% it went to 100% in an hour.

In bed, I plugged the phone in (with my Newegg 6 foot cable, not the Samsung cable) and it charged somewhat slowly (which I figured was because I was still using the phone for about 2 hours laying in bed.) This morning it had a 100% charge.

I would contact them and see about getting a new one sent out, or if VZW will have them in store on Thursday, call today and see if they'll exchange you in store. Your phone is too new to be having issues charging.

OP
freakintoddles
Reaction score
thx

sounds like mine definitely has an issue then :/

Thanks for the feedback though, at least I know that this isn't normal behavior.

MAMBA24ILL

Reaction score
I'm with you on the slow charging. Mine seems to be doing the same thing. Received it yesterday & plugged it in to my work PC via USB & it seemed like the charging just dragged.

Beka27

Reaction score
I just plugged it in right now at 38% with a random charger. Gonna see what my charge time is like to 100%.

Mule65

Reaction score
I'm with you on the slow charging. Mine seems to be doing the same thing. Received it yesterday & plugged it in to my work PC via USB & it seemed like the charging just dragged.

Use electrical outlet and not PC USB.

Beka27

Reaction score
Beka27 said:
I just plugged it in right now at 38% with a random charger. Gonna see what my charge time is like to 100%.

Took about 90mins to get to fully charged.

ustav

Reaction score
I got mine today and in... About 4 hrs that it's been charging its only at 90% ::

zacedward

Reaction score
Yah something is wrong got mine today and took about 90 min to charge full

Vmax

Reaction score
When I first got mine I charged it without powering it on and it charged fairly quickly. Plugging it in with the device on gave a much slower charge.

Beka27

Reaction score
When I first got mine I charged it without powering it on and it charged fairly quickly. Plugging it in with the device on gave a much slower charge.

When I try to charge while using it, it slowly creeps up. When I put it down and don't mess with it, it's quicker.

Again, maybe see if a store can do the exchange.