Charging issue with my S3 -- need to know what you guys are experiencing

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy S3' started by freakintoddles, Jul 10, 2012.

1. freakintoddles

freakintoddles New Member

2 issues i'm having with my VERIZON S3 (got the phone yesterday)

1) The phone charges EXTREMELY slowly. I'm talking I had it plugged in from 9pm to 6am last night and it only went from 30% to 91%. Used the stock charger. Is this normal (hope not)

2) When the phone is plugged in, it will not actually charge if the screen is on. If the screen is on, it stops charging and starts draining... wtf. I really hope I just have a defective unit or something. With this scenario, my phone drained to 0% WHILE plugged in yesterday. This should not happen!

Please post your experiences related to the above issues so I can figure out if I have a defective unit or not.
  2. squeekybigfoot

squeekybigfoot New Member

I am not having any of those problems so i guess its some sort of defect.

Edit* just kept an eye on it and while using the phone when its plugged in it charges very slowly. But when not in use id say it charges quite quickly.
  3. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

Charged outta the box before activation. From about 50% it went to 100% in an hour.

In bed, I plugged the phone in (with my Newegg 6 foot cable, not the Samsung cable) and it charged somewhat slowly (which I figured was because I was still using the phone for about 2 hours laying in bed.) This morning it had a 100% charge.

I would contact them and see about getting a new one sent out, or if VZW will have them in store on Thursday, call today and see if they'll exchange you in store. Your phone is too new to be having issues charging.
  4. freakintoddles

thx

sounds like mine definitely has an issue then :/

Thanks for the feedback though, at least I know that this isn't normal behavior.
    1 person likes this.
  5. MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL Member

I'm with you on the slow charging. Mine seems to be doing the same thing. Received it yesterday & plugged it in to my work PC via USB & it seemed like the charging just dragged.
  6. Skyrocketing

Skyrocketing New Member

Mine seems fine! Using the provided Samsung cable and adapter.
  7. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

I just plugged it in right now at 38% with a random charger. Gonna see what my charge time is like to 100%.
  8. Mule65

Mule65 Member

Use electrical outlet and not PC USB.
  9. TatDroid

TatDroid Active Member

+1..
  10. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

Took about 90mins to get to fully charged.
  11. freakintoddles

Sounds glorious. I really wish mine worked, called VZW and they said soonest they could ship a new one is 7/19 :icon_evil:
  12. ustav

ustav New Member

I got mine today and in... About 4 hrs that it's been charging its only at 90% ::
  13. zacedward

zacedward New Member

Yah something is wrong got mine today and took about 90 min to charge full
  14. Vmax

Vmax New Member

When I first got mine I charged it without powering it on and it charged fairly quickly. Plugging it in with the device on gave a much slower charge.
  15. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

When I try to charge while using it, it slowly creeps up. When I put it down and don't mess with it, it's quicker.

Again, maybe see if a store can do the exchange.
  16. ustav

ustav New Member

When I was charging mine it was off for the 4ish hrs it took to fully charge 50-100
  17. DroooiiidX

DroooiiidX New Member

So far I have charged mine a few times. It seems like it is pretty darn slow.

But a MAJOR precaution. You MUST use the cable that came with your S3 to charge it. If not, you might be waiting for a loooong time. Also, I would use the wall adapter that comes with the phone.

I tried using a variety of cables I had used in the past to charge my DX and all of them resulted in extremely slow charging.

Also, using the S3's cable with my old motorola wall adapter resulted in slower charging (not suprising since it has lower output)

I am curious if the new pin arrangement in the usb port that makes the S3 require a different MHL adapter is to blame for my old cables not working as well to charge the phone. If anyone knows I would love to hear.
  18. legalkill

legalkill Member

I use an old LG charger at home (1000 mA output) and a old generic verizon wireless charger in office (800 mA output). I use my old Droid 1 usb to connect to my computer for transfer.

It definitely depends on the output of the charger. direct corded wall chargers usually have higher output, likewise direct corded car chargers. USB chargers that plug in to adapters for car and wall usually are a little lower (my Motorola 2 port usb car charger does 700 mA, and my old motorola usb wall adapter from my droid is 850 mA), and plugging into PC is the lowest (100 mA to 500 mA on usb 2.0). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

d
    o the math: if your usb is only giving out 100 mA per hour (guessing the phone is actually on and using some of the max to power the device) to charger your phone which has a 2100 mA capacity battery.

My old car usb adapter i got only had output of only 400 mA and using my doid 1 with navigation on, it would not keep up and the phone would actually drain while plugged in while running nav.
  19. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

I've been using a variety of wall chargers, both corded and USB. I'm not sure of the output on any of these, but they all seem to charge.

I'm interested when you mention the car charger output. When I use navigation for any length of time (we've gone on two trips this summer: one 3 hours, one 4 hours), the charger keeps the charge somewhat stable, but doesn't give any additional charge. Maybe we need to look into stronger car chargers?
  20. freakintoddles

I went in and exchanged my original s3 today @ the vzw store -- here's hoping the new one charges normally.

Beka -- I'm interested, when you have yours plugged in to the charger and you're actually using the device, will it charge, stay neutral, or lose charge slowly?
Search tags for this page
galaxy s3 charging delay
galaxy s3 charging very slowly

galaxy s3 slow charging

galaxy s3 stops charging at 91
galaxy s3 takes a long time to charge
galaxy s3 takes forever to charge
galaxy s3 takes long time to charge
galaxy s3 taking a long time to charge
how can i charge my galaxy s3 without a charger
my galaxy s3 takes a long time to charge
my galaxy s3 takes forever to charge